Musicality and gettin' others to follow...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ok,
    I'm fed up at gettin' yelled at. Yeah, I'm a young lead player in terms of yrs of expeirence, but I know there is more to it than "high notes". In class I get yelled at for not making line of the music. I try but no one follows even when I plead, beg, state, and finally yell. Then in lessons when I'm solo and do play with line they yell at me for not playing that way in class though I do, no one just follows. I've even recorded myself to check it out. Some passages are "piano" and I completely dissapear in the mix cause everyone is blowin their "fortetissimo". Then the band stops and the director yells at me for not leading, I FRIGGIN' AM! If the rest of the stupid band would follow what's on the friggin' page then you'd friggin' hear me!!! WHAT DO I FRIGGIN' DO?!?! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrr... I'm off to the range.

Yes, I've told the director this.
    Yes, I've told all the sections this.
    Nothing changes... a few more months and I'm done with this place, Thank God.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I got nothin' to say except you need a change of scene where you get a little respect. I'm counting on your version of things to be accurate. Makes sense to me, though.

ML

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Bear,
    In the past year, I've played in situations where I thought I was miles behind everyone else and I've also played in situations where I thought I was wasting my time because the level of the other musicians was not even close to the level I was used to playing at. In each case, I've tried to ignore my surroundings, not get mad or nervous, and just play the best I can.
    Bottom line: if you can play musically in the kind of situation you just described, you will find it infinitely easier to do so in better situations (ie with better musicians who respect their colleagues). I hope this helps.
    -Jimi

PS. You said you're getting out of there, are you thinking about grad school? Just curious.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Manny, thxs for chiming in... Yeah I desperately need a change of scenario, you know somewhat of the situation between me and others here, lol.

Jmichel, grad school. I have been thinking about that for several months now. I'm leaning towards UNT since they are wellknown for puttin out good lead players. I really wanna go somewhere that I may learn more about my proclivity for that type of playing. Plus they put out techincal machines and though I can get around my axe pretty well, I could always use some refinement. However, realistically, I will need to get a job for a few yrs to pay off student loans and whatnot...

Anyways, I try to keep my nose clean and do my job but man, sometimes it just gets to me, seems I can't do anything right. so... grrr, lol.

5. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I was in a rehearsal for a church gig I'm playing this Sunday and I was having trouble because the organist wasn't keeping up with the choir and when I looked up at the director to find where the beat was I saw she was somewhere between the two. In a case like that it doesn't really matter who you go with because you'll sound wrong. I tried to stay with the choir since they were stronger than the organist but I was still struggling a little.

Then, the director started giving me notes about a bar or two I laid out on. All I could think was it would be a lot easier to play if we could all be in the same place at the same time. It was a little frustrating but I think there will be a different organist on Sunday. Too bad I couldn't work out the kinks with her playing.

In short: I'm going to grin and bear it and do the best I can because it's one gig, I'm getting paid, and the congregation won't know the different anyway. But for you, if this has been going on for a while and doesn't look like it's going to change you might want to think about moving on.

6. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Our church orchestra is small, maybe 12 on a good Sunday. All the musicians in our church serve our Lord Jesus Christ as a part of our ministry to Him and other believers, no pay for all the rehearsals and Sunday performances. As a result, we have all levels of expertise from 7 grade band students to a 78 year old organist who can't count or keep a steady tempo.

As a result, there are many instances each week for anyone in the choir, orchestra or one of the keyboardists to become annoyed at the tempo, timing or dynamics of the music. As we practice each week anyone with any observations is encouraged to chime in, but only if they have a solution to their noted problem. We then come to a concensus with the Pastor of Worship & the Arts, implemement the proposed solution and move on........ to the next week where the same problem most likely will be mentioned again.

I say all that to say this, do what you know to be your best, have the best sound possible, read the scores and play as written. You need to be as professional as your skill and love of music allows you to be. Others will see it, note the difference and in time, things will begin to change. We've already noted the drastic improvement our musicians have made just in the last couple of months since we started our concensus problem solving!

The key is DO YOU BEST TO BE MUSICAL AND THE BEST MUSICIAN YOU ARE CAPABLE OF BEING, others WILL follow!

7. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    yeah,
    I guess I've just been doin' some growing and am ready to move on and get outta here... grrr. Grin 'n' bear it, will do. Rgr. Out.

Bear