Musically transitioning between lower and higher notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jurandr, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    By higher notes I'm talking about everything above the staff.

As I've mentioned in another thread, my band is playing First Suite in #-flat major for Military Band, Chaconne. I'm playing 1st Cornet. This is really the first piece of music where I'm required to pop up two high C's from a G. I can get to the G just fine, and I can get up the the C just fine, but I can't get back down. The next three measures consist of me missing every note and the director giving me a strange look, like he wants to strangle me in my sleep.

I really have no clue why I can't get back down from the C, even though I can play up to it just fine. I can even pop it out on-demand, but don't ask me to start a scale from it. Any clue what's going on?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You have trouble coming back down because you are twisting something to play high (probably too much pressure on the upper lip).

I suggest practicing C-Major scales over 2 octaves slowly and VERY softly. High C needs to be earned and when you are there, it makes no difference whether you approach it with large or small intervals. The secret is practicing ALOT SOFTLY!

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    SOLID!

4. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Once you have the scale in place comfortably, playing through the interval studies in Arban's will also help to develop your flexibility.
    Concentrate on hitting the notes cleanly with a good tone rather than speed.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I have started using scales as my warmup.
    In the morning softly: middle C to Fourth space C do it up and down three times one octave.
    Now Dflat, same as above three times one octave softly.
    continue to second space G.
    Now go to B below middle C and play one octave three times softly.
    Continue down to low Gflat.

Now scale up two octaves starting on low Gflat. Do it twice up and down softly.
    Continue on up to middle C to high C. softly. Never force the buzz on a warm up.
    I don't tongue any of it.
    I do it several time throughout the day. I hope to expand to minor and blues scales.
    Get some lip into the horn. Contract toward the middle of the mouthpiece.
    My real practice session is at night. I work on real music and exercises for tonguing, flexibility and range.
    This is easy and doesn't require an exercise book.

6. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
    Awesome, guys :) I'll work on these and let you know what happens ;)

Thanks for the infos

7. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    As others have noted, you are tensing up to get that C. It is far easier to tighten quickly, but it is difficult to relax quickly. That's why you can hit the C, but coming back down to the G is difficult. When you no longer have to tighten up for that C, the problem will be solved.