Musicians and travel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  2. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, but it still beats crunching numbers in an office all day.....:)

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Could be but I'm fearing that the next trip my Eclipse is going to be "crunched" underneath the plane (or worse "misplaced" by the baggage handlers).

Gotta call my insurance agent again!

-T

4. Alex_In_CA

Alex_In_CA New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    I expect a lot more sales for Pelican, Crate, etc. case makers.

Also, one thing I noticed about travel, you're always having to do things like carry a bag/case in each hand and do the 200-yard dash, carry your own bags plus a friends' and run up flights of stairs, etc. some very physical stuff like that, it helps to be in shape!

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, the Pelicans (and I am sure other cases like them) are selling these days. A lot of places have them backordered. I ended up with a Pelican 1610 (approx 2x2x2 larger than the 1560) that arrived today. After seeing it, I feel pretty confident that what is inside will be safe. And for the price, it can't be beat. http://www.pelican-cases.com/cases.html

The real test will be when it goes under the plane this weekend. (trembling in anticipation). I will be sure to let everyone know.

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Can you fit 4 horns in that 1610 :dontknow: Thanks.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

Yes MJ, that is why I opted for the slightly bigger case. The interior has at least the same amount of room, if not a little bit more, as my Wolfpak Quad. I will try to take a picture of it on Friday when I have the foam plucked and the horns in place and post it here.

I will add that the case has a strong lip all the way around it that, if dropped, will be taking the brunt of the shock and not the case itself.

8. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Suggestion

Alex-

Here's a suggestion. I learned this from one of my students (smart kid). This is assuming you are going to layout the case like any ordinary double or triple case, with the horns standing on the bottom caps. The problem with this standard layout is if anything is dropped on the lid, the impact gets transferred directly to the horn and the horn has no where to move.

Instead, when plucking the foam, have the horn angeled at 45 degrees, on the bottom caps. That way, if there is any inpact on the lid, the horn has room to move and will not take in the full impact impact. You would be plucking out a "V" shaped groove for the horn to sit in.

It uses up a little more space, but the horn is more protected.

Does that make any sense? It's a bit hard to describe.

Garry

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Makes a lot of sense... you want the "crumple zone" to be in the foam, not the brass!

10. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    I still worry about damage & theft from the TSA agents going through any & ALL baggage.

There have been individuals, as well as organized rings of TSA agents that purposely target luggage for theft. (Google it, it's been on our local news & CNN)

The only semi-safe checked bags would be those that you witnessed/assisted their (TSA) inspecting the contents, then lock the bag in their presence, with a NON-TSA approved (strong & tamper proof) lock. Have them place an inspection sticker across the seam, that has to be broken in order to enter, to show that no one has re-opened the case. USDA does this for ag inspection.

Do you really want, or feel, comfortable having them handle your horns, or anything for that matter. They're not musicians. Accidents & theft happen.