Musicians and travel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    For flights from the UK, we don't seem to have any other choices...

For USA domestic flights, and for international flights leaving from the US, it is only a matter of time.......(I don't trust the TSA gorillas either).

Alex, good luck plucking the Pelican...

;-)

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Pelican/Wolfpak Quad Pics

Here are some pictures of the Pelican 1610 side by side with a Wolfpak Quad case (that I have used for 12 years under the plane many times). I just don't trust the zipper on it anymore. I have replaced it a couple of times, but have lost confidence. As you can see, there is a difference in size between the two, but not that much. When I get the horns loaded up, I will take pictures for your viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Back from the UK - Pelican report

Greetings all! How is everybody? I arrived back from the UK just a few hours ago. I wanted to write a quick note and let everyone know that the Pelican case did a stellar job. I HIGHLY recommend it. I have included a picture of my three new babies that arrived safe and sound. Since the case is waterproof and self-pressurizes, the valves even remained limber. $150-180 is well worth the money. I also must add that I did indeed take the guts out of my Wolfpak quad and insert it into the case. I will make it pretty eventually, but as is, it worked perfectly.

Ta-daaaaa! Here is the first baby picture. :-)
    [​IMG]

As far as what these are and what a fantastic experience I had over the pond, I must keep you all in suspense just a bit longer as I am about to fall asleep while typing. Up early, a 2 hour train ride, 3 hours early to a VERY chaotic airport, a 9.5 hour flight, and jet lag.....yeah, I'd say I am toast at the moment. :D These instruments are so alluring and such a dream to play that even in this state, I want to practice! :shock: I have played a few notes on each and that will have to suffice until tomorrow. I am completely wiped out.

I promise to post a nice summary of my trip and some pictures within the next day or so. I had an absolutely WONDERFUL time and beyond pleased with my instruments. My hats off to the incredible craftsmanship of First Class Brass / Eclipse Trumpets. I am proud to be a part of the team and so very fortunate to have such fine instruments with which to make music.

PS To all of you waiting responses on PMs, I will get back to you in the next day or so as I catch up on everything.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Welcome back, Alex. Get some sleep. Nothing worse than jet lag compounding PMs.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Oh MAN!!!!

Another SOLAR BELL

-cw-

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Oh yeah,

Welcome home Solar Alex!

-cw-

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Welcome back and I am anxiously awaiting your thoughts on the horns!!!!!

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Welcome Home, Alex!

Those horns sure look nice. I look forward to hearing about them.

Glad to hear the Pelican worked well. I am going to get one for my own horns.

Mike

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Welcome back:D