Musicians and travel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    This is probably off topic from the original post, and first, let me apologize for my first "rant." But as a professional musician, this is exactly the stereotype that bothers me. Being a musician is a job, just like anything else. Every job has it's positives and negatives. What bothers me the most about the "musician job" stereotype is that most people don't see it as a "real job." Musicians are sometimes viewed as slackers, free-spirits, and even "pan-handlers." Music performance is viewed as entertainment, which is essentially the same as "play-time" for the average joe.

In terms of the "work involved" to become a professional musician consider this:

1. Practice time. It takes a dedicated person decades of practing several hours *every* day to reach a level of proficiency needed to be a successful professsional musician. What other "job" requires this much study, time and investment?

2. Job Applications. Most professional musicians have taken dozens of auditions and have sent their resume to many different places. It can cost a person up to $500 for every audition or job interview they take. Meaning, after 10 auditions/interviews a person has spend $5K in just the interview process! What other job is like that? Heck, some companies will even pay prospective employees to come out visit them for a job interview.

3. Competition. The competition is so fierce that typically 100 people show up to the interview for 1 job. Again, how is this like any "regular job" interview process?

4. Maintenence/Professional Development. Once you finally land a coveted job as a professional musician, all the work that got you the job doesn't stop. You still have to maintain your high level of musicianship through practicing. In addition, most professional musicians have a minmum of a masters degree.

5. There are many other things I've left off the list, like paying for school, self-promotion/marketing, or any other "self-employment" costs. While being a professional musician clearly isn't the same as "crunching numbers", it's a still a job, and it still requires "work" just like any other "regular job"...in some sense, maybe more.

So, the next time someone calls being a professional musician "easy" or "not a real job"...take the time to inform them.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  2. Ned Kelly Jazz

Ned Kelly Jazz New Friend

Sep 1, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I went on vacation last month and they had me check in everything. But when they noticed that I was checking in my horn they told me it's OK to handcarry it but I was told that I needed to throw away all my slide oil and valve oil.

3. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota

ahhh....ok.............now back to your regularly scheduled program.

4. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    At least people generally are not shooting, spitting, slapping, yelling, kicking, punching or fustigating at you. And bonus, you don't usually have to pick up dead bodies with a shovel so it can't be all that bad.

5. Dave

Dave Guest

No, but there was this bass player I played with once... :lol:

6. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Soooo... Alex... nice to have you back Stateside! :D

Looks like you had a GOLDEN time in the UK!

Can't wait to read your "handywork" about your new babies!
    Dang... triplets! Who knew? I could swear that I read something about a new Pelican case. Looks like the "storks and pelicans" were good to you!

In case you're reading this, Leigh... I haven't called you anything resembling a bird. I'm merely speaking metaphorically. ;-)

Cheers!
    Bruce

7. Hags888

Hags888 Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2006
    Corpus Christi, TX
    heh. I'm not saying the life of a professional musician is bad. 'cause it isn't, I love it! I'm just saying, hey, it's work, and it's a real job too. I probably said it with too heavy of a hand...I'll try not to be so dogmatic next time.. :oops:

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    I was just bustin your chops bro'.....

I think you are correct, a lot of people don't realize how much work goes in to being a professional musician.

:-)

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Pics of Pelican case filled

Ahem......here is the last bit of 'regularly scheduled programming' :D . I promised pictures of the Pelican case with the horns inside. It looks a bit rough on the inside because I literally cut my Wolfpak apart and slid it right in. I will eventually fix it up nice with some upholstery after refreshing the foam. It fits perfectly inside will a little room for music.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Verrrry nice case, Alex! oh, yes the content seems quite ok, too...;-)
    (btw: the mailbox is still empty...:roll: )