Musicians and travel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Aug 22, 2006.

1. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    According to the news today, instruments are now being allowed back in the cabin:D

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    I'm flying in the US Saturday. Can I still bring a wolfpak 2.5 on these days? It never used to be a problem.

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just flew with a Brass Bags Quad last week and it was not a problem.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Thanks.

6. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    MJ,

I've flown 8 times domestically since the incident in the UK and my brassbags triple never received second glance...

Ciao,
    EC

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hi all,

I received this email from George Benson today,

Thought it interesting...Valery Ponomerev is a Russian Trumpet player.

http://www.valeryponomarev.com/

Hi Bill,

Bill Easley had forwarded to me some of the correspondence in response to my experience flying with my horn. Things are getting much worse, and Valery Ponomarev had has arm broken by 4 security guards in an isolated part of the airport in Paris last week because he didn't want to give up his trumpet (which was already tagged as hand luggage). He is in a cast. Could you pass this on to Dr. Nelson Harrison, whose email wasn't included to me and it sounded like he would want to hear more of what is happening?

Valery's email is [email protected]. Arkady Kaufman, a fine multi-reeds player, is circulating an email about his experience, the lack of action on the part of AF of M, and some of the theft going on in airports too. I'll forward this to you.

I'm going to be in Italy all of November but after Valery's experience I don't dare even try with my tenor. I'm borrowing a super action 80 in Milan, hope it has a sound that matches my concept as I play on a 79,000 series mark VI.

Thanks, and best regards,
    Carol Sudhalter
    http://www.sudhalter.com/CSquartet.html

-cw-

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  8. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Bad news on that trumpet player. I wonder what security would say if you bought a ticket for your horn to be placed in the seat by itself next to you? A little expensive but it could save your horn and your arms from getting broken too.

Liad Bar-EL

9. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I know both Valery and Arkady. I hadn't heard about this latest indignity. I will have to give a shout out to Valery.
    For those who don't know hm, Valery was the trumpet player in the Jazz Messengers just before Art Blakey hired an obscure kid from New Orleans.
    he is the sweetest guy in the world.