Musicians - What can be done to improve...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Jun 24, 2013.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    So, reading a recent post about yet another "practice contraption" I think musicians (myself included)
    are overly prone to the power of suggestion.

So many products are targeted to us that have no basis in science for actually doing anything to help
    us, yet we try a product and are 100% certain that it works, sometimes to the point of engaging in
    over the top arguments defending our experience as valid.

I don't claim to understand why it is that we get "real results" from using products that have no scientific
    reason to make a difference. Are we all a bunch of suckers?

Regardless, I have decided that hopping around on one leg for 5 minutes prior to practicing has allowed
    me to achieve my goal of double high C in 37 minutes. I will be soon selling a "program" to teach others
    how to properly hop on one leg so as to ensure proper success in the 37 minute path to a deafening
    DHC. :-P

More details to follow....

GZ

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    But you have not explained that the point of your system is holding a mpc between the toes of the other leg... must be a Monette Prana! ;)

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Rofl

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Once you have the basic skills down, confidence goes a long way in making you a better player. Placebo equipment and/or rituals will often work if you believe they do.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thank you very much, GZ: I tried your program, and I find that I'm already improving my high range.
    However I have a problem: I play the trumpet as a right-handed, but basically I'm left-handed.
    Should I use the left or right leg?
    Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Mikel

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    OK, this one time I will give a free "consult" - after this people will have to start paying like all my other "clients".

You obviously are ambidextrous, so you will need to hop for 37 seconds on each leg, alternating until you reach 296
    seconds. Then recite the phrase "Bill Chase lives" as many times as you can for the remaining 4 seconds.
    That should have you well on your way to success.

Dupac likes this.
  7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry to disagree with the OP, but my studies have shown that by hopping on the left leg (connected to the right brain) promotes the DHC, while hopping on the right leg promotes the pedal register. To help avoid anxiety during performance it is suggested that the player does not hop, in order to limit excess CO2 in the bloodstream.

It is obvious that the OP is an amateur "wanna be" psuedoscientist, giving those of us who have diligently pursued psuedoscience in all eleven dimensions a bad name.

Dupac likes this.
  8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    This method is already depracated. Hopping around on BOTH legs for 2.5 minutes prior to practicing allows you to achieve the goal of double high C in 18.5 minutes.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, I respectfully disagree. You could really hurt yourself doing a DHC in 18.5 minutes...and I don't want THAT on my conscience!