Musicologists, help needed.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey historian buffs and/or musicologists. I am performing a lecture/recital on Torellis' Trumpet Concerto in D major. It is for a baroque performance practice class and will be performed on natural trumpet. All I need help is finding background information on the piece itself. So far, all I've been able to find is that it's authorship is up for question. Why was it written (if any special reason) etc. I appreciate any help someone can throw my way. Thank you.

Tim

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Tim,

Google San Petronio (Bologna) and Torelli's trumpeter Giovanni Pellogrino Brandi. Both might yield results.

Good luck,
    EC

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    As a professional musicologist, my opinion would be... to listen to Ed.

4. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    And i second this motion.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Sorry guys, two steps ahead of you. I've done all that. Even found facsmiles of the church payment records... I still cannot find specific informaiton on the piece. Lost cause?

6. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    As an amateur musicologist, my opinion would be. . . (shrug)

Wasn't this particular piece published in Amsterdam by Etienne Roger? You might try googling that. Not many of these pieces crossed the Alps. This might be a lead (?)

If not, Brandi spent 20 years at the basicila (you must know about the history of this wonderful building, the conflict with Rome, etc.). Maybe you can write about that instead? It'd WAY more interesting than placing this particular work within the 32 others that Torelli penned, at least in my opinion.

By the way, judging by these rather mundane lines, it's pretty obvious that Brandi wasn't nearly the virtuoso that his counterparts in Leipzig (Reiche) and London (Shore) were. Hell -- even I've recorded this piece :)

Jimi....you're a musicologist? I didn't know.

Best,
    EC

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    If you can't find history, make up your own. No one will be able to disprove your "facts".

Just kidding, good luck in your quest.

8. ecarroll

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Greg,

Never apply for an advanced degree at McGill. They would eat you alive :)

Best,
    EC

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    HAHA,
    Thxs guys. As much as I would like to go off on a tangent, my assignment (directions) are clear and I may not vary. There is specific informaiton that I am supposed to find but everyone is stumped, so it's leading me to think that the information is lost, hence the "lost cause". I think I'll have enough information to meet the 25 min. minimum with the information of the natural trumpet, Torelli's background, and me actually playing.
    EC, I'm tending to agree with you. I understand that there are musical nuances that must derived with the natural trumpet, but... After only playing natural trumpet (about a month now) and this composition for 2 weeks or so... I do not think Mr. Brandi was all he was cracked up to be.
    Who said lead cats can't jam out to classics?! HAHA. Take care and thanks for y'all's help.

Tim

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Ed,

It's one of the things I do... My undergrad was a double in music history and performance. I did grad work for musicology, but lost interest when I realized that they were training me to write for academics, not for performing musicians and the general public. Last year I did a fair amount of program notes, liner notes, pre-concert lectures, and copy-editing. This year I get to play the horn a little more, but I might pick up a few note writing jobs. At the very least it keeps the brain from atrophying. (mad cow--I've got it...)

-Jimi

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008