Musikmesse 2008

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Even although I swore last year that I would not visit the fair for a couple of years, a couple of interesting opportunities outweighed my common sense........

The Frankfurt, Germany Musikmesse is arguably the largest in the world. It is definitely bigger than the NAMM show in Vegas which I would consider second.

Just about everything from el cheapo electronics and musical toys to very exclusive custom instruments are on show.

Instead of starting with the good stuff, I'll let you know what wasn't there:
    Kanstul did not return this year
    Bach had no picc on display (at least not in the customer area)
    Courtois did not have the 4 valved Nakariakov Flugel on display
    Andy Taylor was not there

What dominated: CHEAP, Cheap and Cheaper. A real invasion from the far east. There were horns that almost fell apart in your hands to decent ones like the Andreras Eastman line. As I was only planning a single day at the fair, I did not feel a need to get involved with this side of the market. One may question the "need" for these cheap things that destroy the profitability for the entire retail market. I am not convinced that trumpets are like drugs-just get somebody started and hooked and they will advance to the profitable stuff. I think cheap horns spoil the experience and do not ultimately lead to more or better players. I wish our society was not based on the stock market and shareholder value.........................

What was special for me this year:
    The Schilke P7-4. This horn has the easiest upper register of ANY picc that I have ever put up to my face. The first couple of notes that I played that day were the Michael Haydn up to the high A. The Brandenburg came afterwards, the high notes just "popping" out. I consider this horn to be considerably easier to play than the P5-4. The down side for me is the very bright/brilliant Schilke sound. One of their managers was working the booth and I asked if they could envision a gold brass version of this horn. I am sure that a mellower Schilke could establish a new sound standard and give the rotary horns a real run for the money! I also met Andrew Naumann the owner and tried his nat. This is also an axe worth considering if you are in the market. EXCELLENT intonation, the slots are moderate so you can almost play without the holes. A great, secure upper register makes this thing a real alternative to the Egger dominance (you all know my preference for CHOICE!).

The Inderbinen booth had some real works of art. Bells that look like they were sand cast or hewn out of a block of silver. They also had the heaviest horn that I have ever played (heavier than the Monette Raja) as well as a horn with a 7" bell. There was a cute 10 year old with a tenor sax at the booth playing jazz standards like a grown up. No heavy solos, but beautiful tone, great rhythmn and nice vibrato.

Kühnl and Hoyer had a new full-sized bell pocket trumpet (1,400 Euros) that played just like a big horn. I have relatively small hands, but this horn was not easy to hold. It was easy to blow though, responsive from pedal tones to double C (and beyond for players better than I am).

Lätszch did not have that killer rotary Bb on display. Instead they showed an excellent rotary C and a compensating rotary baritone horn. This guy builds horns like a watchmaker! Perfect in every detail!

Phaeton had a stand and all of the samples had "sold" signs on them. These horns are built in Taiwan, but the build quality is essentially like Schilke. They had a black chrome model that looked really cool - and played well too!

Yamaha is by far the largest exhibitor. They had a hall of their own (as well as dedicated booths in the recording/PA sections of the fair too), that was so noisy that I decided to resist the urge to try anything. I apologize to all of you as the new horns definitely would be worth auditioning, if I can't hear myself, I just won't waste my time.

The Stomvi booth was an ear opener. The new Titanium horns are HOT! I tried the Bb and C horns with both the square and round slides. These things speak very easily, get very loud (with a bit more edge than I prefer) and have excellent intonation. The C was a lot of fun to play, one of the few that I have tried that allowed for an effortless switch between Bb and C. I also tried their piccs and am not sure that my try out was fair. Stomvi is well known for instruments that are in tune. The lower end models were not with my Monette AP/BP5 or Bach 10 1/2E. The top model did pretty well on a A side, but the on Bb pipe the concert Bb octaves were more than a quarter tone out. I say that this may be unfair, as the piccs are designed for use with cornet shanks and I tested them with the optional trumpet leadpipes. The top of the Line Titanium is the only one that had a sound that I could live with. Just as I was getting ready to leave, they brought me a Mambo model. I am not the first player somebody would think of when somebody says "mambo", but this horn was alive! All you have to do is blow a bit of air through and push the right valves down. The horn does the rest! Absolutely unsuitable for classical or jazz players that like dark and sexy, but for everyone else, I can only say you NEED to try this horn out before spending any money!

Ricco Kuehn was there with the complete line up. I didn't feel a need to play them this year as there was nothing "new" and I have only praise for every horn that I have ever played.

Schagerl was there and I have 11 colleagues with massive valve problems(all of the horns went back for service within the first year and the repair just made the valves less "tight" - many had to go in several times because the problem came back!). I asked them about this and they denied knowing anything about it. Funny enough, the horn that I tried out there also had a sticky first valve that did not improve even after they oiled it........ I say BEWARE, there is a problem here and I have a problem with basic denial!

As far as accessories go, there wasn't much of anything special, standard mutes and stands, most brands known in the states. I will do a separate thread on a brass treatment that was mentioned here about a year ago.

The rest of the day I spent listening to a Yamaha artist (Rüdiger Baldauf) playing a variety of Yamaha horns as well as a prototype flugel that has a "sexier" sound than the current generation. After that I had appointments in the harddrive recording, microphone and PA side so there isn't anything more of note for TM.

I went home very flat footed, but as usual with a notion that most brass players just want to attempt to show off during fairs and that they really are only acoustic pollution. Screaching around double C out of context has to be one of the major annoyances known to mankind! The only place worse is the hall with drums, electric bass and guitars............. There are great methods for testing instruments, unfortunately, I did not hear many players giving any horn an honest chance.

If anything pops into mind, I'll add it later!

good reading!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Robin,

When does it last until?? or is it over already?

Matt

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Matt,
    it ended this past weekend. Sorry.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Robin, thanks for your write up. The "Mambo," eh? Here's one for you!

[​IMG]

I own maybe 4 of the albums from the series. Which can be found in toto here: Ultra-Lounge I do recommend "The Crime Scene" and "Wild Cool and Swinging" without reservation. Great instrumentals on the 1st and some arresting vocals on the 2nd.

Great to hear Stromvi is doing such fine work. Pity about the noise :(

5. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I couldn't agree with you more. I went to the National Trumpet Competition in Fairfax, VA last weekend and "that guy" is at the exhibits every year. It seems like as soon as one guy starts to do it, it turns into a giant pissing contest where five other "lead players" (term used loosely) try to one-up each other from opposite ends of the room. I understand some people are in the market for equipment suited to that type of playing and that it is necessary to try out the upper register, but I see very little reason to play THAT loud for an entire weekend other than to try to impress people.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

I am surprised that you said nothing about companies like Lechner and Scherzer...did they not appear at the MusikMesse or you haven't stopped by their stands?

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick,
    Scherzer was there(at the Stölzel booth if I remember right), but nothing new. The only horn I really like from them is the picc. The rest has never had the elegant, refined sound that I prefer.

I haven't seen Lechner for AGES (my eyesight is getting worse though.....). I thought that Schagerl had just about buried them. I see a long list of references on their website, but don't see many horns being played anymore.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria

That's quite sad...They used to do very nice horns (my opinion). My teacher at Fribourg Conservatory has a rotary piccolo with upright action made by Lechner and it is a very refined horn...I hope that you are wrong though...

What about Thein?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  9. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Not surprised...a lot of egos in the "DC area" particularly some of the service band guys who think they are above everyone else.....:dontknow: