Must-have method book(s) for self-teaching

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Jan 2, 2009.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Im currently looking for an instructor to help me with my comeback, but until then Im on my own. I would consider myself an intermediate player (played lead in junior college 9yrs ago).

What book or series/combination of books will cover all of my bases? Endurance, chops, technical studies, etc, etc.

Thanks!

2. Gary Garcia

Gary Garcia Pianissimo User

Apr 27, 2008
    san jose,ca.
    Goodevening, check out "Eric Bolvin" on the internet.As a Claude Gordon trained student has free videos,lessons via internet and in person and the books/instruction manuals that you need.---cheers--Gar

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I recommend regular Bible study. Basing hope on DIY trumpet methods will need a lot of PRAYER!

I do not consider DIY to be viable for the first couple of years and even today after over 40 years of playing and 30 years+ of teaching, I have a 90 year old mentor that I go to for regular checkups. It is amazing how much garbage can collect over time!

Granted, even with a great teacher, you only get out as much as you put in. That relationship puts everything you do into another perspective. If you play well enough to get through with a decent sound, most conductors do not have time to devote to holding your hand.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I bet there's some great teachers in Wichita. :)

Arban's, Schlossberg, and Clarke are always on my stand. Eric's "The Arban's Manual" is on the footstool.

Without a teacher, its easy to let things slide. And it's very easy to have things slide and not know it.

5. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I too recently started playing again. Sounds like we had simular skill sets before we stopped. I went and picked up an Arbans and very quickly found that to be a teacher assisted method. Without a teacher, I went and got the Rubanks Intermediate method. It is working nicely. Try that

6. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    Asking for DIY advice here is kind of like seeking theological advice from atheists. It's not necessarily that they won't have advice - it's that they'll think you're asking the wrong questions entirely.

I'm trying the DIY route because of time. It's not that I don't have time, but that the time comes in unpredictable and often short intervals. Full-time job, a baby, a small farmyard, and more. So far, so good - maybe 24 years away is enough time for me to figure out why my last few teachers had asked for specific changes.

I went back to the beginning, to the Breeze-Easy books I had in 4th and 5th grade. It's a bit eerie, since I can sometimes hear my band teacher's voice as I go through the lessons, but the pacing is right for rebuilding my range, and interesting enough that playing even the really simple lessons is enticing.

(Of course, as my 6th-8th grade teachers told me later, that first teacher was often wrong, especially about embouchure, and I suspect the "smile plus pressure" he taught us was part of why braces gave me such an impossible time.)

I also picked up the Clarke Elementary Studies book, though its pace (especially on starting range) is pretty speedy. Some simple Christmas carols gave me something to play that my family could recognize, even if my practice still wasn't quite melodious.

If you want to go the DIY route, I'd also recommend some books that discuss technique. Harnum's Sound the Trumpet was a great general re-introduction to trumpet, and Jeanne Pocius' Trumpeting By Nature had a lot more detail on specific issues, like embouchure, posture, and avoiding injury.

7. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    The books I use as I no longer take lessons, mainly due to location are:

-The Buzzing Book by James Thompson
    -Clarke Technical Studies - use this for technique, articulation, range, and multiple tonguing
    -The Arbans
    -A bunch of couple of page print outs that work on various skills

Sometimes I will pull out other things but overall that is all I use and I find it really covers all aspects quite well!

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I must agree with Rowuk, once again. You MUST have a teacher if you are going to be successful. I have played for more years than many of you are old, play professionally, teach a number of private students, and still study with a teacher. Too many things can slip through the cracks if you don't have someone to advise you.

9. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    My plan IS to get an instructor. But at the moment I don't have one, and would like to pick up a couple books this weekend so I can start working. :)

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    They make a series of CD's to guide you through Arbans. They talk you through it and play the part's for you then you either play along or repeat. I saw it online just the other day. It is meant to act like a teacher and guide you through the leason's in Arbans. I will try to find it and repost with a link.