Must-have method book(s) for self-teaching

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This will really show my musical ignorance, BUT (notice it's a big butt - er but) how do you play a chord on a trumpet?:cool:

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Earl Iron's book. I think it's called 27 Exercises. (The cover isn't on mine anymore) It is a book of basic flexibility studies.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You are certainly not ingnorant!!! That's a great question. I'll use the chord Cmaj7. Each page contains four lines and each line relates to the chord. The scale that relates to the chord, a 1235 type pattern that relates to the chord, the inversions which are the chords starting on root, 1st,2nd, 3nd position and triads which relate to the scale (which relates to the chord). The only chord is in the first measure. The rest are notes that can be played by any instrument.....err.. well just about every instrument. I don't think the SPIT book will work for a digerido. As for us lip reed players, we play chords by way of arpeggios unless you're Rashan Roland Kirk.

4. john daniel

john daniel New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    appleton, WI
    I've never known anyone to get in trouble practicing the Clarke's Technical studies without a teacher. Of course having a teacher is better.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi John, You're absolutely right. I'd like to have a dime for every great trumpet player who has exercised with Clarke' Technical Studies. I could buy both of us a new car!! The only way a person could possibly get into trouble working on Clarke (or any text) is if their technique is detrimental to the overall production of sound, such as using mouthpiece pressure to increase range and other bad habits that have been discussed ad nausium. This is where a good teacher comes in.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks, I was looking for the weez. Looked under the Ts and Ws.:-(

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My pleasure Bob,

I too had to search Markie out on the Members List.

And like everything else on TM, not only do I have to see the point being made but I also need to anaylse to understand - that we often stand and quote platitudes to each other doesn't make any of us any more educated - we actually have to think about what we are saying and reading for that to work - thanks for your input - it all helps.

I can't help following the thought raised in a couple of earlier post that if I spent this time on the PC with the trumpet on my face, I could be a better me, not a Maynard, or a Wynton, or a Louis, just a better me.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Well said tedh1951,
    You betcha!! I too believe that no one can teach anybody anything. A person has to take the info, verify the info with someone they trust(like a reliable site), and then put it in their own noggin'.