"Must Read" books???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jcstites, May 30, 2006.

1. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    I'v tried for many years to get hold of "The Trumpet" by Ed. Tarr. When I met Tarr a couple of weeks ago in Bad Sackingen, I asked him about it. He then told me that the English and American versions were permanently out of print. But, a 4th editon of the German version, "Die Trompete", would soon be ready. It would also include a CD (with sound samples).

Of other books mentioned here, I have some online:

Herbert L. Clarke: "How I became a cornetist" (http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/clarke/bio/)

Yogi Ramacharaka: "The Hindu-Yogi Science of Breath" (http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/exercise/breathing/)

A book that Bill Adam recommend is
    James Allen: "As A Man Thinketh" (http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/james_allen/)

The last month I have been reading "Lasting Change for Trumpeters" by Louis Loubriel. I liked it so much that I asked him for an interview.

The interview is here:
    http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/interview/loubriel/

Ole

2. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    I found my copy of Tarr many years ago in a second hand shop in Madison, Wisconsin for about $10. Nowadays I see copies on the interent for a lot more than that. Here's a site that sells them for $100.

http://www.thompsonedition.com/tarr.htm

It's a nice book to have, but for that much $$$ I'd borrow a copy or read it at the library. Buy Snell instead.

JU

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Alex-

Now I know 3 people who have read Art and Fear!!! What a great book.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Two books I have recently enjoyed (part of the reason why I haven't been around much lately is that I've been reading a lot)... The first has very practical applications to music. The second would be a great read during long breaks in the pit.

[​IMG]

The first half of this book, where he talks about working towards his goals is incredibly inspiring and motivating.

[​IMG]

I think this is a much better read than the Da Vinci code

-Jimi

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes it is Pat! I think I should probably read it again......it has been a while. It is a short, easy read too. I highly recommend it to all of us.

6. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Evening in the Palace of Reason. Talks about the reasons why Bach wrote his "Musical Offering". A great book that every musician should read.

7. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    Many excellent books have already been listed; and for those of you who are unfamiliar with the majority of them, I recommend that you begin to build your library.

There is one book that has left a lasting impact on my musical mind, much more so than any other. This story emphasizes the strength of commitment needed to follow our musical path. Again, I cannot recommend this book strongly enough:

Blowing Zen – Finding an Authentic Life, by Ray Brooks (HJ Kramer, Tiburon, CA – ISBN 0-915811-85-5)

Ray Brooks is a shakuhachi performer originally from England. This is a story of how he came to Japan and found his love for – and dedication to! – the flute. It introduced me to the concept of:

“Shugyo, which means ‘practice,’ comes from the word shugendo, or the ‘ascetic path to realization,’ and describes spiritual exercise or training. It can take any form, just as long as deeply focused discipline is present and ki energy is developed.â€

This sounds heavy, and it is, but the book is actually a fun story about his travels and adventures in Japan. Please consider adding it to your bookshelf.

-Kelly

8. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Wow. Alot of responces. I am making a list, its getting huge! hehe. Thanks!

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Zen and the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel

Add one more J.C. :D This was first published in 1953 and I think it was strongly recommended by the Northwestern/CSO camps long ago. I know back in the 70's and 80's we were all reading this one.

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

Kenny Werner's book..

EFFORTLESS MASTERY - Liberating the Master Musician Within
    by Kenny Werner

Here is a copy of the author's notes from his site:

Author's Note:
    EFFORTLESS MASTERY - Liberating the Master Musician Within"
    by Kenny Werner

Of all the people on the earth who play music, probably 95% of them don't receive the rewards that they know are available. They know what is possible; a heightened sense of awareness, an explosion of love and joy, moment to moment spontaneity and communication with other musicians, popularity with their fellow humans, and a state where one is perhaps closer to God on stage than on the pulpit. They know it, they've seen it, but they can never access it. It's as if God chose someone else and not them.

And yet there are moments in one's life...

Moments when one's sense of awareness is heightened, where, for one blessed moment, one is not struggling along the ground trying to get through a song, but soaring on the wings of song, where they are riding the bicycle with the wind at their backs instead of in their faces, a state of being where it is all so easy and then ... it vanishes into thin air.

Why? Why did it come? Why did it descend on them with such grace and then cruelly evaporate? What change in them allowed it to happen? What were they perhaps not doing that allowed the groove to flow? What did they do to shut down that flow?

Once, when the great Guru, Swami Muktananda, was having a program in his ashram and a devotee came up to him and asked, "Swamiji, if you have the power to lead me to enlightenment, then why don't you just give me that state?" The implication of her question was so clear. Why doesn't a guru who has the power to bestow transcendent moments on a disciple just drop it on them and so the disciple can be done with it? Baba Muktananda looked at her with great love and compassion and replied, "Oh, my dear one, I would desire nothing more than to do that, but if I gave you that state, could you hold it?" (paraphrased)

This is what training is all about. Learning to hold that state where the inner self can manifest and create through the disciple, using the disciple as the instrument of his or her creativity.

Now think about that in relation to making music. We all have a "being" of some kind that is the engine, not just of all life, but all our actions and all of our creative instincts. Studying the works of enlightened beings, I found a common theme; That I am God, and that I could see God in every living person, in every living thing.

If this is true, it means that every musician I see and hear is a genius! The creative power of a Monk or Miles or Mozart is not the exclusive property of a few fortunate ones, but public domain.

Everyone is God, everyone is connected the same way every drop of water in the ocean is the ocean. The great ones say that the world is made up of those who know it and those who don't, not those who have it and those who don't.

In the currency of creativity or consciousness, the world is not made up of the "haves and have-nots," but of those who know they have it and those who don't.

It is then, a matter of discovering this greatness in oneself, of learning to move beyond mundane fears and dare to live a life of freedom. To move beyond the mind that holds every hurt and fear, and to plunge into the divine ocean of the Self.

What if a musician were to do that? What would that sound like? How much more profound would their music be and how much more charismatic, how greater their reach would be for the hungry souls that call themselves "fans."

In all walks of life, the challenge is to move from the mundane to the profound, to experience their lives in all its radiance. Therefore, the musicians task is the same; to move beyond mundane issues and plunge into the divine ecstasy of sound, their sound, in fact.

This is what one is witnessing when one hears that special concert by that special kind of musician. What they're really responding to is how this fellow human has moved into the center of their own greatness. And the attraction of this moment is that is resonates with the same greatness lurking inside the listener. It beckons one to throw off the bondage of mortal thought and be the God that we all are.

My book, Effortless Mastery, deals with this on two levels. 1) Training the mind to hold that state, the awareness, or what I call, "the space," while playing or writing music. How to remain totally conscious while the act of creation pours through, so that one is more aware of receiving than creating. Witnessing a musician in that fire, receiving each note with such excitement and delight, this is the fascination the rest of us have with that moment. It is the experience behind the sound, it is God's voice, calling us all to His ecstasy, and 2) once one can remain in that space and not be thrashed about by ego, one can reorder their practicing to address the gaps in their skills. They can hear quite clearly what plays and what doesn't play from that space. Without the yoke of ego, they can then calmly move towards eradicating the deficiencies until all that's left is perfection.

The musician can now practice with the quiet focus with which the monk studies his scriptures, knowing that in letting the wisdom permeate his mind, he is sharpening God's tool, himself.

Then there are exercises in the book for "sharpening God's tools," for making us more effective instruments of "The Voice." Doing the exercises will facilitate the constant improvement of skills that many musicians have waited for all their lives, but this will no longer be the point. We may observe with satisfaction, that we are simply becoming better musicians, but if "the space" rules, then we are much more focused on the fact that this upgrade makes us better able to receive God's voice from moment to moment, and through any vehicle, or form, whether it be a classical piece, raga, or a jazz solo.

This is the point of Effortless Mastery, but there are many boats. The musician, indeed the seeker must realize that the attainment and retainment of consciousness and learning a musical instrument have something in common. They both take practice.

~ Kenny Werner