Must See Maynard Concert Footage!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dig Wayne's HUGE double C in the Sesame Street Theme, right before the solo section!!

2. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Nice stuff to hear .... but honestly, I can only handle small amounts of hi pitch wailing. While I was lis'nin last night at home, my wife & daughter were begging me to stop it. Sum'tin for us trumpet players to think about...
    Thanks for the link!

gregc

3. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    I've been to this site numerous times, and have listened to every clip (yes - it takes quite awhile). My favorite clips from the MF concert, focusing primarily on who really nailed the chart and seemed unfazed by the event and other players.

Eric Myashiro - Don't Let the Sun Go Down; Conquistador; MacArthur Park (esp. the rehearsal version)
    John Chudoba - Gospel John
    Scott Englebright - Hey Jude; lead on Frame for the Blues
    Bobby Shew - overall, great playing but seemed to be physically "on the edge" a lot

While there are LOTS of short moments of glory and solid playing by most everyone (Roger Ingram aside, sorry, but his two solo cuts are terrible), Most of the players really show why Maynard was unique. To my ears, Eric Myashiro was the only one who REALLY had the style, physical power, and sound locked in to the real MF aura. The other soloists were pretty much just high note guys who didn't quite "understand" the nuance and bravado that Maynard achieved.

Flame-retardant suit activated...

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I don't think you need flame retardant at all! That was a good analysis. Not that those players are not great players, it is just the Maynard has a unique sound an presence -- not just a gifted range.

I agree, I think Myashiro was the best. Nobody else had the style or the swagger. I think when some of the best players cannot play your charts well, that says something about how unique you are. Maynard is very unique.

Jim

5. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    One thing that I would have like to see in the vids was some of Patrick Hession playing. He has a huge sound and power. I would recommend going to see Maynard just to see him play. He tears it up on the MF Hit Medley. I have an MP3 of him playing that somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and post it on my website.