Musty smelling horn and case

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    My new cornet and case still smell musty.

I have wahsed the cornet in warm soapy water and passed a brush trough the pipes when I first got it. Still smells.

Case......what can I say.....it smells old. Any way to get rid of this smell?

Thanks for your help.

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    i would spray odor killing sprays. Such as pino clean or any other spray that says it kills bad odor.

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    No way...not in the horn...

Try a bath with a little vinegar in it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Is it the horn or the case?

A trumpet is metal and that won't stink after a proper washing. Odor killing sprays could kill a laquer finish too - I wouldn't use anything except soap and water, perhaps the vinegar that JC Stites recommended too.

The case is another issue. If it got damp, that musty smell could be the beginning of something much worse. There are various spray on carpet cleaners that you could try.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  5. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    of course not in the horn his talking about his case.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    On horns I have had good success with Pinesol green or blue in a solution with warm water. In the case, I like animal scent removers from most pet supply stores.

OLDLOU>>

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Even if you spray it in the case, residue could still end up on the horn.

It sounds like the case is the problem, easiest fix is to buy a new case for storage and everday use and keep the original case around for the sake of keeping the case and trumpet together.

I had an old Voss that the case had gotten damp and started to mildew... I pulled the liner out, cleaned everything really well, then used contact cement to reinstall the liner... it was a pain in my A**, but it worked. :cool:

If it isn't a mildew problem, I really like OLDLOU's idea!

Have fun!

Mike

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My wife just read these postings and told me that she had deodorized a couple of my cases wiothout telling me. She used Fabreze. It works a treat.

OLDLOU>>

9. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Perhaps.....that musty smell is actually coming from inside the collar of your shirt? :)
    Just razzin n' jazzin but I feel----uhhh SMELL your pain.
    BOTTOM LINE: I can assure you that in the long run I would consider finding another trumpet case.

10. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Sunlight really helps with mildew. pick a nice sunny day and leave the case opened facing the sun for a few hours. Might take a few times but it should help.