Mute bag

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Aug 3, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Can anyone recomend a good mute bag that holds music as well please?

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Look into regular travel stuff that is not labeled as music carrying and not sold by instrument/musical gear dealers. That's where you'll find your best deals. Instrument cases have to be somewhat designed for the shape of the instrument but there is no such thing as a real "mute bag." Any bag that in which you put mutes becomes de facto a mute bag.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I use an older backpack. It works great. It has compartments for music, pens. Etc. and large area for mute. They can be bought in any thrift store dirt cheap or you may have one laying around. Some mutes I wrap in a little satin bag to protect from dents.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have canvas, "man-made" material, and plastic bags all over the place. All of them were free or dirt cheap AND they get the job done. You probably have a sack laying around the house just begging to hold your mutes and music! :D Unless you want to pay for an "official" mute bag, you got something laying around the house I'm sure. Old socks work well as a protector from scratches and small dings on your metal mutes. Yes, I'm frugal! :lol:

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    All the comments are great here, and I'm seeing a theme here: use you imagination. I think that is key. I use an insulated lunch bag that was a give-away at work, but not to hold the music, but along the same lines this was what I came up with that suited my needs!
    Just go a little larger and find something that will accomodate the music!

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I have an old LL Bean soft (cordura) brief case that has a large center compartment and smaller ones for documents and files (or music) that would be perfect. Oversize music might be a problem but it could stand up in the outside pocket.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In my case, I use a black fabric garage sale,( $1.50 ) used lap top computer bag. The fabric handles are getting a bit 'ratty' after ten years of use, but, it hides under my chair while on stand quite well, and holds my music folder and mutes very well.

OLDLOU>>

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Old briefcase/laptop bag. Room for mutes, music, pencils, water bottle, extension cord, stand lights, etc.

9. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Thanks everyone for your ideas.

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Just make sure you wash 'em good or you'll get some real dirty looks from the woodwinds! :lol: