mute cork repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pedrotrumpeter, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Pedrotrumpeter

Pedrotrumpeter New Friend

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    is it possible, how i can do that without affect the sound of the mute? saludos desde mexico :D

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    There are several sources of precut replacement cork. Try musicalarts.com, thebandroom.boz, wwbw,com or your local music store/repair shop. Harmon mutes just use sheet cork, you just have to make a paper template and glue it into place.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've found that mutes fit better and are less prone to slipping out at the most critical moment when you replace the cork with the same thickness of medium soft rubber. A few of my mutes had that stuff on from the factory - my H & B Harmon, e.g; and it's easier to find that quality of rubber in the required thickness in a hardware store. Cheaper as well.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  5. Pedrotrumpeter

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    thanks, no, im talking about a straig mute from mutec.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    We have a member here on TM, Trumpetsplus. Find his web page on TM and click on his PM (Personal Message) link and send him your information. If anyone here will know how to help you, it will be Ivan.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Should be straightforward - most repair shops can do this.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    be sure to get a quote for the repair if you take it to a shop. I usually replace my own cork but had used up my last ones when I decided to re-cork a cup mute to give to a high school kid that needed a cup mute. The shop charged me $18, $6 for the cork [$2 a piece] and $12 to tune the mute. How could they tune the mute, they didn't even know what horn it was for?

9. Pedrotrumpeter

Feb 29, 2012
    Mexico
    ohh, i need to tune a mute after repair it??

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The new corks will be thicker than the original ones. Once they are on they probably need to be sanded down to optimize the fit/sound/tuning.