Mute Falling Out

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by abtrumpet, Apr 29, 2011.

1. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi,

I recently bought a copper jo-ral harmon (bubble) mute. I like the sound a lot, but it falls out constantly. I always breath warm air into the bell and onto the cork of the mute before use and it still manages to fall out. Being copper, it dents really easily. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem? If not, I may just have to invest into the aluminium version.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have the same mute -- I had that problem initially on my Strad 43G which I solved by repositioning the cork a bit since it was gripping along a thin line near the top of the cork. My old B&H student trumpet bell has the wrong flare and the mute doesn't stay in at all. My other two horns have a more compatible flare and I don't have that problem at all with them.

I keep a bottle of water handy as I play, and I've taken to wetting my fingers then rubbing around the cork before inserting it - I always did this with the Strad so have kept this up.

Of course a sure-fire way of keeping the mute in is to play lying on your back.

--bumblebee

3. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Sounds like the problem could be that the cork ring around the end of the mute may not be thick enough, or the material of the cork itself.

If I recall correctly, Jo-Ral uses some kind of neoprene composite cork on their mutes that has a rubbery texture and does not grip on to the inside of the bell well at all. The cork also has a tendency to fall off the mute after a few uses.

If I were you, I'd ditch the neoprene stuff and buy a real cork pad. Cut out a strip that fits around the end of mute, superglue or hot glue it on, and sand it until the desired thickness.

Also, keep in mind that the Jo-Ral bubble mutes are pretty heavy and, especially if you play with the bell pointed down, will inevitably fall out sometime. I personally prefer the sound of the copper one, and I don't think it dents any easier than the aluminum version.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  5. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Sometimes you have to sand file down the cork with sandpapper to make it fit right.

6. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    (Sorry I was really tired when I wrote this) just for clarification, (sand paper)

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Try a Harmon mute instead, is one solution. Some bell flares are just not mute friendly ... I'm lucky that both my main trumpets accept the Harmon like it was designed for them, and never fall out. The mute you're using (in Copper) is pretty heavy.

Turtle

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Could be the taper/flare of the horn.

I have a practice mute, that fits fine in my trumpet, but my cornet swallows it, and it rattles. I have to add extra padding to it.