Mute story

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well it has to happen once in a while.

As you may know, I had to play Debussy's Iberia this week. On the first page there's a mute change that takes place over slight more than measure of an Allegro in three.

Well we've been using our set of metal TrumCors and since it was Saturday night I was thinking of using something different just for a little fun and to learn a bit, as well. I saw our set of vacchiano straights sitting there and thought It's been ages, so, I grabbed and asked the boys to use them tonight. We practiced our litle muted section in the second movement just to get the pitch and decided it was a nice sound.

I pride myself in being the fastest mute changer in the section. I usually leave Bob in the dust. When the performance started and I got to the section with the quick change I thought I had put it in securely.

Guess again, idiot.

That's right. I put it in and it did a lovely, lazy slide back out of my raised horn and went careening to the ground where it produced a sound enviabe amongst most percussionists. An interesting rhythm that had little to do with Debussy was also evident. Wow, wood risers are loud suckers!

Well, I'm just glad it wasn't Friday night (our live broadcast night)!

ML

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :-o

:lol:

;-)

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    C'mon... don't leave me hangin'.. I KNOW you have to have a mute story, Alex. You've played too many gigs not to be among the cork-gripping challenged!

C'mon... I dare ya...

Can't wait to see what Wilmer and Ed have to say, speaking of experience.

ML

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Busted story about a bone player. (that's what was almost believable)

-cw-

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    On a personal note...

In our band we toss our mutes in the air, ala the Jimmie Lunceford band's trumpets. (Haven't got the guts to throw the horns yet.)

One one gig I threw it a bit high and couldn't reach it. It bounced of the back of my shoulder and landed on the bass player's stand, where it hit his drink, which fell and spilled all over the drummer's Tom Tom.

All in all, a pretty good toss if you ask me! :D

-cw-

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'd call that "Two birds with one stone!"

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    OK....is this like "True Taxi Cab Confessions"? LOL

Yes, I admit to assaulting a bassoonist back in '97. We were playing "Fountains of Rome" and I brought the horn up with just enough speed that the mute went a'flyin' into the air and BONK, the bassoonist was nailed in the head. Also, the mute didn't land on the floor and play percussion......after bouncing off of the bassoonists head, it landed in the lap of our first horn player! Luckily they had a good sense of humor and we had to keep playing! That was the most difficult part. The whole back row was in stitches and I, thoroughly embarrassed. We were laughing so hard, tears were flowing. It was nothing a beer couldn't fix though. I bought them one after the show. :oops:

8. brewblue1

brewblue1 New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    Albuquerque, NM
    Your story reminds me of one of my own.

While playing a one-year position with the Phoenix Symphony, I had a disastrous moment in a performance of Shosti 6.

It was a Friday morning Coffee Classics concert. Shosti 6 has a very quiet, muted trumpet lick in the first mvmt. Emery Harvison and I had tried the Trumcor lyric mute the night before. While we liked how it sounded, we both felt it could be even softer and more distant, so we agreed to bring our foam silencer rings to try Fri morning. We had a brief rehearsal in the wings before the concert, it sounded great!!!

Cut to the middle of the first mvmt, I put my mute, with foam rings in. As I raise my horn to play, my mute SHOOTS out of the bell of my horn. Not falls, shoots. Those of you who know Shosti 6 know that the moments before the trumpet entrance that Im speaking of are the quietest parts of the whole work. My mute slammed into my stand, rattled around on the riser and then fell OFF the riser and rattled around on the floor. I heard an audible gasp from the audience.

Needless to say, my heart rate is now well up over 200 bpm. I dont have another mute to grab to play the section. I'm completely frozen as to what to to. Emery calmly removed his mute and we played the lick open, and nailed it, I might add!

Of course I felt terrible! But as I looked around the brass section, I could see they were all trying to keep the tears from streaming down their faces, they were laughing so hard. I guess it was the visual of the mute being, literally, ejected from my horn that was so darn funny to them.

Cut again to Friday nights concert, where Emery and I were finally able to play the lick with the mute set up we wanted. Man did it sound great with that mute and foam rings. But you can bet your behinds that I HELD the mute in my horn that time to be sure it stayed where it was supposed to!!

Note to everybody out there, if you use a Trumcor Lyric mute with two foam rings, take extra caution to secure the mute in your horn! :oops:

Well, at least they'll remember me for this in the Phoenix Symphony!! :-P

John Marchiando

9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    My senior year we had a big "Brass Bash" at school. It culminated with a gala concert that included an arrangement of Rite of Spring for brass choir. I was playing the piccolo trumpet part. As there were no woodwinds or strings, I was sitting in the front row. There was a huge audience, including a lot of Boston freelancers who had come to hear Bud Herseth, who was playing later in the program. And, of course, my piccolo mute decided that this would be a good opportunity for the cork to completely lose any traction. Even with big rests to really jam the sucker in there, I think it fell out two or three times. I think there's a good reason why they make brass players sit in the back...

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    ROFL Chuck and Toots!

:lol: All of these stories are side splitting!

John, your story telling skills are great! I am still laughing!