Mute story

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    stcman wrote:
    Thanks Dylan, I had a feeling it wasn't true.

-cw-

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    15-20 yrs. ago when I was playing in a lot of theater [community] we had a sub who always took his mute and give it a little flip and catch it before putting it in. Well the pit area is small and I mentioned several times to cool it before he hits someone but that all fell on deaf ears. The french horn player [who was quite good] had just saved up and bought his dream horn, I don't know what it was but he had a good one and had been searching for this horn for several years and was excited to have found this and this was the first time he had played it since he had just picked it up. You all know what happened - the sub trumpet player fipped his mute and missed and it hit the bell of the NEW french horn putting a large dent in it. His only responce was to say "well now you don't have to worry about getting your first dent". He didn't even offer to pay to get the dent removed. Dave

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Justifiable homicide.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I KNOW! I got angry reading it!

ML

5. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

Trumpet mutes are pretty loud, but nothing can top the volume of a trombone harmon mute. This was during a wind ensemble concert at a very quiet moment. He simply did not get the mute in enough, and out it came. I saw the whole thing, as I was resting at the time. The way he threw his body forward to try and catch the mute after a couple of loud bounces I remember thinking he had a good chance of plowing right through his stand.
    That would have been it for me, as I would've had to leave the stage, due to excessive laughter.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I think the important thing is that no matter what kind of mute you drop or how much it rattles around, once you get it back it's important to hand it to the person next to you to avoid getting blamed for it yourself. If you're at the very back of the band or orchestra, a nice arching overhead pass will insure that even people in the very back of the hall won't suspect you of being the culprit.

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hah! My story is similar (well, at least in the slow motion fall out).

It was my sophmore year, fall semester. I had passed my audition to do a recital the previous spring, and was doing a 10 minute recital. My first ever. Being a poor college sturent, I could afford only the Humes and Berg Stonelined mutes, and that's what I had. I had chosen to do the first 2 movements of the Kennan, but inside out in order (2 then 1). I had my cup mute handy for the opening of the 2nd movement.

A bit of histoty: when I bought it, I immeditately tried it for my mother at home (my sound checking person at the time!). She said "It doesn;t sound very muted...can you get it in there any further?" So, I went downstairs and filed the corks down a bit. "How's this, Mom?" "Still not right". "Ok." File, file, file. "Better, but still not yet". "Ok." File, file, file. "That's p[retty good, but still not yet". "But Mom, there's not much cork left!" "Oh. Well, use it like that, then." (Viloin player!) So, I managed to develop a twist that placed it in the right spot to hold it in, and used it.

Ok. Back to the stage, under the lights with all my studio watching and recording being made. Piano opens. Nice job, Gina! Play my opening 1/8 note figure, and as I make the skip off the 16th to the higher note, bangitty crash, roll...mute on the floor. I never really thought of the 2nd movement the same way again.

8. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    confession

this hapened to me in recital. i was doing the kennen end of second movemnt with the harmon mute. i have a crown harmon thought i got it in the bell good. i start to play and clunck, clunck clunck as it hit the floor and rolled around.

put a couple more dents in my harmon

i thought several four letter words, but didnt say any of them and played the ending open, then picked up the mute before the 3rd movement.

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    :D Hey Cornetguy...ya know what this means? The piece must be cursed! Were you doing the old version, too?

10. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    My last incident didn't involve a mute, rather my third valve slide!! I had my horn sitting on its stand doing Donald Grantham's Souther Harmony (we were doing the clapping movement), and when I picked my horn up for the next movement, the nut had screwed off, and CLUNK!! Third valve slide falls off on wood floor in the middle of a woodwind chorale section, the trombones had a field day with that, but hey, it happens right?