Mute story

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Feb 5, 2006.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Greg -- I've seen people LICK their mutes before. I think you know one of them. I don't have the stomach for it, but he's never lost a mute in concert!

2. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey, I resemble that remark..........

Ok, I've been know to lick the cork and breath into the bell, and as RZ mentioned, haven't had any problems since doing that.

Before starting that habit, why was it always the Harmon mute that would fall out?

Warren

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I lick the cork, but my wife says kissing me is like kissing a bottle stopper.

Someone do a poll...

Breathe on the bell

Lick the mute

Lick the bell

Just stick it in

Use a spray bottle like a bone player

Don't use mutes

Any other methods?

-cw-

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I usually fog up the bell before inserting the mute, but Manny's story happened because of a quick mute change. There is no time for any methods when that is the case. Mine also happened because of a quick mute change and I didn't have time to take any of the precautions mentioned. Also, where do you hold your mute when you know a quick change is coming? Mine goes in my armpit or gripped behind my knee....or sometimes, I am holding it my left hand against the horn.

5. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Always hold it BETWEEN your kness when playing "Five Easy Pieces"

(sorry--just too old... :roll: )

6. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I usually squeeze it between my right knee until the quick change.

I heard a story of an audience member writing a latter to an orchestra about the lack of taste of the trumpet section. She was referring to how they would grad their crotch before playing throughout the concert. Of course she didnt know what they were donig, but funny sotry either way. So just because of that story, i never put a mute between my legs. heh.

7. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    For fast mute changes I use a trick I learned in marching band once, and french horn players sometimes use, I hung it from a strap on my wrist, and it was right there.

just glued an eyelet to the bottom of a humes and berg stonelined, and put and elasticband on, slip that on your wrist.

I dont play classical on trumpet(only on sax/clarinet) so I dont know if Id be able to get away with that but Ive done it in marching band and big band settings.

As for a funny mute story, the bass bone lost his in a solo in jazz band, he was using a plunger, and somehow halfway through his solo he just lost it and the mute landed on my head, I was playing bari sax and was right in front of him. We still dont know what caused the drop, but it was humorous afterward, he almost lost the 'bone with it but Im glad he didnt!!

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I didn't know Michael Jackson learned that move from playing trumpet...the secret is at long last revealed! :lol:

Yep, quick mute changes are a real pain. I'm thinking of one piece we've got ... two beats, mute in.... two beats, mute out.... two beats, mute in........gaaaaaa (wish the composer would make up his mind)! I just hold the mute in my left hand and work it as if it were a plunger mute.

I'm also one of those who tuck their mute in behind their knee "in preparation" for quick changes; left knee in my case. I do that for two reasons: I can still valve and play with my right hand while the left is getting the mute (or putting it away) and because of our seating layout it is "sort of" hidden from the audience. I also keep my mutes lined up along the left side of my chair on the floor so it's natural to always use my left hand for the mute.

Trumpetvrouw.... I sure hope you use ARID or BAN or else that could be one yucky mute!!! (no chance of anyone wanting to steal it though!)

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hee hee...yes, I use deoderant Toots. LOL. At least my mouth doesn't taste like corks! LOL.

I also use the left side for the same reasons - so the valve hand stays on the valves.

JC - grabbing "that area" during a concert - LOL. I have had my share of smart remarks when putting it there. LOL. It is really funny that someone in the audience thought otherwise. LOL.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    On my mute rack attached to the music stand.