Mute story

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Feb 5, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Alex- Either in my left hand (for especially fast changes like in Rocky Point Holiday)or in my lap.

2. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Trombone slide stories…

The Mesa Symphony does a handful of outdoor Pops concerts each year at the Mesa Amphitheater. One 4th of July, it was very windy and the way this amphitheater is set up, the wind tends to swirl left to right across the stage. Those of us that play in this venue with some regularity know this.

The trombone players are on the left side of the stage, and it’s typical to have one foot on the leg of the stand and have clothespins holding the music in place. Well, this huge gust of wind came blowing through and knocked over about a dozen stands, mostly basses and cellos and a trombone stand (he was a sub and didn’t have his foot on the leg).

I looked down and saw the bass trombone player with the end of his slide firmly against the music on his stand as several more gusts threatened to knock over more stands. With his trombone anchored to the stand, he had to move his upper body back and forth to get the different positions as we continued to play (really take a minute to visualize this).

Oh Man! It was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. I’ve played with this guy for years and he never misses a note. He wasn’t going to let that breeze wreck his flawless track record!

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    question for Manny and anyone else that had played Mahler 1

How about the mute changes in the 4th movement.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, those are tough. My youth orchestra is playing that movement this Sunday. if you want to watch them scramble the show is at 2pm at Orchestra Hall. there's alos a commissioned work and a fantastic young lady playing the first movement of the Mendelsohn.

The other orchestras are, of course, playing as well and you would enjoy the show. My son has a solo he's playing in one of the other commissioned works and it's an improvised salsa thing. It's only eight bars but I sure wasn't doing anything like that at his age. He has a huge sound and it's very focused.

ML

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Slightly off topic, but still funny

Marchign band halftime show at U of I awhile back, trombone player is standing in endzone ready to go on, he was hit by a reciever in the endzone during the last play of the half. His 'bone was smashed. So he ran to the sidelines and borrowed a 'bone from the pep band. At the "horns up" in the 1st movt. the spit in the borrowed trombone ran down the pipe and into his mouth

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    THAT was nasty... and I just ate, too.

ML