Mute-talk!!!

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by axel_sjostedt, Aug 5, 2005.

1. axel_sjostedt

axel_sjostedt New Friend

May 4, 2005
    I'm thinking about shopping some mutes!!!

Which is the best fibre-straight mute??
    The loudest straight mute??
    The best non-pariel mute??

Thoughts???

Thanks
    //Axel Sjostedt

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Axel,

The best of each of those is the one that gives you those effects with the best intonation.

This is different for many people now because trumpet bells come in more shapes and sizes than ever before. Go on a "mute safari" and bring a good tuner with you and friend with good ears you can trust. You could actually have fun with such a project.

ML

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Haha, last year my trumpet section all whent out together to look for the perfect marching band mute. (yeah, we used st. mutes in our show, how awsome)... It was actualy really fun driveing all around the city to differant stores.

Turns out the best we found for marching was just a simple humes and berg... (haha, but I guess thats not really too much help to you...)

4. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    This is easier if you have standard bell flare.
    If you have a wide one like my Wild Thing you end up with more cork and a different sound.

On the stright mutes I use Humes and Berg or Denis Wick depending on the situation.
    Humes and Berg in the cornet.
    Denis Wick for orchestral mainly.

I would prefer to use a softer straight mute but the conductor's (or composer's as I often have them in the same room - ouch) expectation is usually for a fairly tinny sound.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Gordon, have you tried the Wick wooden mute?

Since I got one it has become one of my favourite mutes to use - I have found them to be excellent for classical works, where I don't believe the mute should have that metallic edge.

I have given up trying to write down all the mutes I own - I start writing them down, then remember that some mutes live in the car, others are scattered round the house (not to mention with some students) - it is a pointless task to even attempt to catalogue them all (currently running at about 25 straight mutes!)

6. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2007
  7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    No.

How dopes it compare to a Humes and Berg?

8. Dan Millheim

Dan Millheim Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2004
    Fort Worth ,TX
    Trumpet Mike,
    Any thought of a great harmon jazz type mute that will fit my new XLR Eclipse? Would the larger bell be a problem like on a Wild Thing? Thanks for any advise you can offer.

9. SlideBone Ltd.

SlideBone Ltd. New Friend

Feb 15, 2004
    NYC

Peter Gane Mutes at www.slidebone.com

All mutes are handcrafted in the UK.

Superb playing characteristics.

Adjustable Cup Mutes double as straight mutes.