Mute Usage Chigaco

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by GijsVis, Oct 8, 2012.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey TM,

We have started on a production: the musical Chicago, including a lot of jazz :). And I just received the first two pieces, which are:

Overture/All That Jazz - Chita Rivera - Chicago: A Musical Vaudeville - YouTube
    Chicago Mr Cellophane Lyrics.wmv - YouTube

Now there's a lot of mute usage, and the second one is all clear to me, but for the first piece I have to choose what I use myself, there are two solo's in there, one in the very beginning and one at 1:50, I'ld say the first one is plunger, the second one harmon? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gijs Vis

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I agree with plunger and harmon ( with stem removed ) in the first piece. I couldn't make out a trumpet solo at 1:50 in the first piece though. I heard a " fill in " at around 2:47 that was harmon. Plunger and harmon anyway. The mic placement will be important with the harmon as it is hard to get the sound projected with a harmon. See what works best.

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Oh, I'm sorry, it was at about 0:50, yes, I've had some experience with harmons and mics, but it's still some work to settle out.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006

I have to disagree with the harmon. I say harmon with stem extended, or, preferably, solotone (cleartone, gatsby).