mute vibrates trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I have a new harmon style mute. I tried it on all my horns and when playing, the whole horn seems to vibrate from the back pressure. Is this normal or is the mute in too far?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If it is a harmon, you can't put it in too far, the cork seals completely.

The Harmon does cap the bell and makes the air in the horn vibrate quite differently. Your experience matches mine!

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Bruce,
    That sounds normal to me, and remember to wet the cork with your tongue when you put it in the bell with a little twist, as with the mouthpiece; and it will not fall out then.

Go for the sound, there is a little more back-pressure.

4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    ew, don't lick the cork. Not only will you get a disgusting taste in your mouth from all the oils in your horn, but you'll also render the cork useless after a little while.

Just breath warm air into the bell to make a bit of condensation appear. A full breath should do it. Put it in, twist it to the side a bit and you're all set to go.

Does your Harmon have a stem? If not, it's a Bubble mute, and you've got more experience with it than me. Harmon mutes shouldn't make the entire horn shake. I've got not clue how you're making it do that.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I had a harmon mute that buzzed because the seam from the cone part and the cylinder part was loose. I think I twisted it around until it seemed tight and then bent it a little to keep it there.

6. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    have you check for lose brace's