Muteless in Oregon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Note: I'm posting this thread here (rather than MPs, mutes, etc) because I think more people will see it.:whistle:

When I started playing trumpet (4-5 mo. ago) I thought that EVERY TRUMPET MUTE FIT EVERY TRUMPET.

This is NOT TRUE.

e.g. ...... I just bought a 1937 King Liberty (large bore) and, VIOLA, 4 out of 5 mutes not only don't fit, they don't even touch ANY cork. :dontknow:

Upon investigation we see that the shapes of the bells are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. Wow, guess I'm going to have to take this Liberty with me to the store if I want another mute for it. It came with one that fits but frankly looks more like a marine buoy than a trumpet accessory (and sounds pretty awful).

Is this common with older trumpets???

The Turtle

1937 King Liberty 3B
    Eastman 420g
    Denis Wick MM1C
    Curry 1TF

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Those liberties have very small bells. I think the mute thing is only a problem with those really early, pea-shooter type horns.

EDIT: My friend that has a Liberty told me that his sink plunger covers the whole bell- if this is the case with your horn, I'm not sure what to say. Though I think that they do have available those tiny versions of the standard mutes: Amazon.com: Harmon Harmon Straight Trumpet Mute G-1: Musical Instruments

These are quite small- they might work

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    are you sure it isn't a flugelhorn?
    Is the bell too big, or too small?

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yeah, LJazz (congrats on the recent Laker's trophy), that's the 2nd time I've heard that term, Pea Shooter. And no, Dutch Guy, it's definitely not a flugelhorn, but I just got a Curry mouthpiece that is a "cross" btwn a trumpet and flugelhorn MP that makes it sound a bit like one.

The bell is actually the same size in diameter (or really close) to my Eastman horn (in which all 5 mutes fit). But the shape as the bell gets thinner is wider for a longer ways, long enough to give the mutes NO FOOTHOLD.

Besides that "Buoy Mute," my Denis Wick Wow Mute fits as though it was made for the horn. It sounds a lot better with this horn than the Eastman too.

Turtle

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Thanks on the Laker trophy

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, I think maybe you could try to use one of those mutes that flares out really quickly so that the narrow part of the mute could grip into the trumpet (something that looks like this): http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/9/3/247293.jpg

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    LJazz,

Exactly! That's it.

Too bad there's not a dedicated Mute store around here (you know, like a MUTE MARKET) but I'm a little off the beaten path. But I've spent so much money over the years at my (excellent) local music store--they love me--they'd probably order this one from your link and if it didn't fit, they'd sell it to someone else. :D

I'll check it out. Gracias.

El Torguga

1937 King Liberty 3B (large bore)
    Eastman 420g
    Denis Wick MM1C
    Curry 1TF

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    LJ,

You've got it wrong. The Liberty turtlejimmy has is too BIG for his mutes.

Same with my Wild Thing - the barrel is just really big and a bigger mute is needed. Flip Oakes has 'em but over $100.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hey Veery,

That Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet looks like it has EXACTLY the same bell flare as the 1937 Liberty. The whole trumpet looks like it has a similar shape ...... Is this Wild Thing also one of these so-called pea shooters?

If it is similar, those mutes (expensive!) ought to fit. Is it also possible to "re-cork" a mute you really like so that it fits?

The Turtle

P.S. On the Wild Thing site I see you can get a PRIVATE LESSON with Arturo Sandoval. How nice would that be??? As I'm reading it .... $110 and hour.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Option (plan B): add thicker cork or other type "grabber" material. I remember one who had a custom molded and lacquered paper mache insert to take up the gap.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Hello Ed!

I like this plan B. Financially speaking, a thin layer of cork has to be less expensive than a whole new mute(collection).

Details?

e.g. How do you bend it? Glue? Where to get it? etc ....

The Turtle is on a

"SAVE THE MUTES CAMPAIGN"