Muteless in Oregon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Fresh cork sheets in thicknesses of less than 3/16ths and less should be bendable to fit a Harmon type mute. Otherwise you'll have to steam it (DO NOT SOAK!!!!). First, make template. Still, there was an article about such with a foam material found in craft stores at much lower cost.
    Cork sheets are harder to find albeit some craft stores and hardware stores do carry such and I believe so do tech suppliers.

My own experience has been only to utilize a trumpet Harmon on a 'bone and this was done with a custom made metal sleeve insert that was then mandrelled by tech to the 'bone contour and then foam added vis I could remove sleeve and continue to use mute for trumpet.

I really detest all mutes!

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    TJ-

Pea shooters are small-bore, narrow-wrap trumpets, called that because they resemble a per shooter - which is like a straw. The Wild Thing and your Lib are the opposite, large bore, early taper (which means the bell diameter increases quickly as you move away from the 1st valve) bells. So by the time you are getting close to the end of the bell they have become too large in diameter for most mutes.

You could cut a conical section from the top of a plastic bottle which is bigger than your mute, and put cork(s) on the outside, and use it to fill the gap, as a shim or bushing of sorts.

For a Harmon style must thicker or more cork could work. But for a traditional mute, using thicker (or more on top of the original) cork will give you a mute with a larger space around it for the sound to "escape", and the effect would not be the same as a mute designed to fit.

3. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
    Most new mutes will fit a Liberty Bell. (Well not THAT one) I've never seen one that wouldn't Yours are probably worn down some.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Ed,

...."I really detest all mutes!"

My neighbors seem to like them more than I do. :lol:

Veery,

Okay, now that assessment ..... "The Wild Thing and your Liberty are the opposite, large bore, early taper"... Is very precise. I think that is exactly what these two horns are and why their bells look so similar. I believe the bore numbers are almost identical too.

THANKS GUYS!

Latest Count:

2 MUTES SAVED!

(With a very skinny exacto knife, I removed the cork from the old buoy mute and re-attached it, with crazy glue, to my Jo Ral 3-in-1 mute. Then, I took off the cork from the Jo Ral--that wasn't touching anymore--and glued this on top of the cork already on an old Humes and Berg stone lined cup mute. Phew. Now they both fit beautifully in the old King. I may start a humanitarian MISSION for rescuing mutes.)

Turtle

Alright, I feel bad for the old buoy mute. Now it looks more than ever like a marine product and even like it's been out to sea for a while. :-P

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Wildman,

This old Liberty is an odd, large bore version that's not very common, the 3B. The bore is bigger than the 2B and other Libertys, and was only made for a few months.

These were all brand new mutes that didn't fit (most weren't even close and the Windy City mute barely touched any cork but wouldn't stay in without some help):

Denis Wick Practice Mute
    Windy City Wow Mute
    Jo-Ral Cup Mute
    Humes and Berg Cup Mute

Turtle

btw ... Am I mute obssessed?

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've had the same problem as you. Figured out an easy fix. Bought some Jo-Ral replacement cork (I do like the rubberized stuff), took off the original cork and attached the new using a layer of double stick foam tape--the thin white stuff you use stick things on the wall that you never want to come off--don't use the newer quick release version, but the original. You can get it in rolls and strips. Just trace the outline of the cork on the tape before you peel it apart and cut it out with a scissor to keep it all neat.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    AHA!

Lurking on the corner of a shelf is another mute that fits, unmodified; A Denis Wick Straight Mute.

Now that I have most of my mutes fitting the old King, I have to say that they are all MUCH EASIER TO PLAY than with my Eastman horn. Is that because of the larger bore?

The mutes also sound a lot better, fuller, richer, etc. and they seem to "ring" at a lower volume. Now they're playing more like something to color the sound rather than being used to simply bring the volume down.

T

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, as on this subject isn't worth a wooden nickel, the only valid purpose of a mute is "coloration" of the tone. This said, at times I have been arm twisted to use one, and for silencing I do use Yamaha Silent Brass. Still, IMO the use of a mute is comparable to painting over a priceless painting. Is it wisdom that the majority of composers never wrote for mute usage, and looked for such coloration in other instruments. At all times, if I could, I'd never use a mute.

9. jedwards

jedwards New Friend

Jul 1, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    At .470 the Wild Thing is anything but a pea-shooter. I picked up a new set of mutes and thanks to cork that hasn't seen 30 years of use, they fit just fine. Since I couldn't find a new one to fit locally, I added a layer of cork to the Harmon to make it work (local hardware store should have thin sheets), but will be ordering a new one from Flip soon.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    "At .470 the Wild Thing is anything but a pea-shooter." Probably easier to hold too! This old King doesn't give large hands much of a comfortable spot to rest on. The larger bore and more open playing is very very nice, though, and I'm looking forward to trying other large bore trumpets like the Wild Thing. Would be interested in hearing how you like that new one from Flip.

And Ed, I don't know what to say, I really like mutes. Get a listen to Miles Davis if you can (on "Best of Miles Davis, The Capitol/Blue Note Years") the song, "It Never Entered My Mind," where he's playing a Harmon mute. Too beautiful for words, it's one of the nicest solos I've ever heard by any musician. He couldn't get that sound w/o it. :cool:

The Turtle