Mutes for the Monette.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 12, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Manny, I'm not sure if you covered this before (I did a quick search but I didn't get anything) but the thread regarding practice mutes, and specifically the fact that several of us have suggested the Dennis Wick adjustable cup mute, got me to wondering what you use for mutes with your Monettes.

Do you use standard stuff, like the Wick and Tom Crown mutes, or do you have to have mutes specially made due to the flare and size of your Monette trumpet bells?

It's not a very important question - well, I suppose it is if someone either owns or is planning on owning a Monette in the near future, but I was curious to know.

Thanks! :-)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Wanna bet?

It's a great question and y'know, every so often I'm sitting on stage thinking that I should address this with you folks.

The Trum-Cor metal mutes and the Marcus Bona metal mutes are excellent. The prime directives for me regarding mute choice are intonation and sound quality. Rick Giangiulio's mutes are fabulous, I'm not kidding. The have a great variety of sound and the intonation is excellent. The MB mutes are also excellent in these regards but the metal mutes are the best of his lot. The intonation is excellent and also have a great variety available in metals.

Yes, Monette bells are tricky because of the size. I also have those mutes that seem to look like they fell off a snake charmer's truck. Also excellent for the same reason. Whenever I go on tour, I love going on mute safaris because I always have use for a new sound that a conductor may like.

ML

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Thanks! I guess now that you mention it and I have thought about it a little more, mutes can be a very important part of the player's accessory kit. I have my favorites, but I'm not sure if they would be worth a darn with a Monette trumpet due to how they sound, or the size and shape of the bell.

Do you have to put custom corks on your mutes and have them properly fitted for your trumpets, and if you do this, do you do it yourself, or is this something that you have Dave do?

Also, when you make a selection for the mute that you are going to use for a particular piece, do you also take into consideration what the rest of the section is going to use, or is that something where they need to follow your lead and make their mute selections accordingly?

Back in my days as an active duty army bandsman, we had the option to go out and buy our own gear, but we were issued everthing that we would need to include trumpets, mouthpieces, mutes, lubes, etc. Since we all had more or less the same trumpets and we were all issued the same mutes, I just used whatever was issued to me, although it was in this time that I developed the preferences that I have now, although those mute preferences are very Bach-centric preferences.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    For me on my B flat with the bigger bell I use MB straight, Wick cup and I haven't found a Harmon stile that will play in tune yet so I pull the slide.

On my other Monette trumpets the bell is smaller so the standard mutes work.

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Patrick,

The nice thing about those mutes, I mentioned is that they are brainless when it comes to fitting. The way they come is the way they work for me! Less work!

I use what I use and I leave it up to the section to match me, whatever it takes.

ML

6. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Manny,

You prolly already know this, but trumcor makes a version of the lyric mute specifically for Monette trumpets now. I just got one and its incredible. I've always loved the lyric but it never played well in tune on a Monette.. now they do. Mike Thompson ordered some so I got one. their adjustable cup is fantastic too. The perfect Arutunafish mute.

MA

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Blutch,

Nice to see you back! Thanks for the tip!

ML

8. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Manny!

Hey, when do the new Monette videos come out? Can't wait.

You get your new Prana C trumpet yet?

Also, Dave finally came around and will make "vintage" prana mouthpieces for those of us who can't play the newer ones. I'm thrilled.

MA

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tom Rainey is working on that, probably as we speak. They're going to be a lot of fun, I promise.

No, I haven't gotten it yet but soon, I hope.

Enjoy!
    ML

10. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Blutch, i dont have any experience with the older PRANAS, what was the difference? What is thr trouble with the new ones??