Mutes make you play higher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Dec 26, 2014.

1. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    I've been getting ready for lead in jazz and to get better better endurance I've been using my straight mute. It's been fun trying to play with it since I start using the mute toward the end of my practice session. It takes a while for me to chop out when im not playing loud but the mute gets those muscles working. I encourage all of you to try it now if you have really good range use a harmon now that's some hard work.

Double D and practice
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_RTi6Yti68
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ANSRy8Hug
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9zIiKACTj0

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ummm,

if you were on to something serious, REAL lead players would be training with the straight mute. They aren't maintaining or building range this way. I think that you have talked yourself into something.

Lead is only about high notes to those that are not real lead players. Real lead playing is the cutting edge of the big band sound. It is permanently locked in time with the rhythm section and the charisma to set the band on fire. A solid G above high C generally covers everything important. The rest comes later with experience and true necessity.

Our playing is a loop that consists of think->play->hear->think. Putting a mute in the trumpet screws up the "hear" part for "standard playing"

There is nothing wrong with practicing with the mute. It isn't preparing you better for anything except playing with the mute.

We are not building a six pack in our face. Working harder is NOT the goal.

3. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    That's why I don't use it all the time it's just when I get bored it's fun to play against the resistance.

4. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    I've never played lead trumpet before this but I saw my music already and it's crazy above above the staff. I don't have experience with "REAL" lead players except with watching YouTube videos and listening to Louis Armstrong.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Louis Armstrong was not a lead player....

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mutes don't make you play higher. Only a kick in the....., oh wait, that's singing.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Seriously, you don't "own" those notes in a practice session, you won't own them at the end of a 4 page chart. Keep practicing and working on your long tones.

8. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    Thanks captain obvious for the remark Louis still played jazz.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Agree.

Mike

10. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Breaking news: all jazz players can scream like Cat Anderson. Rejoice!