Mutes

Discussion in 'Kadleck's Corner' started by CNYTrumpet, Nov 7, 2018.

1. CNYTrumpet

CNYTrumpet Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2008
    Tony,

Curious to hear your thoughts on if you find certain mutes (straight, cup, harmon, etc) are better than others when it comes to playing in a pit?

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I've been using the Soulo straight and cup mutes, and really love them. While everyone seems to like the new "zinger" harmon mute, I'm still partial to my old Jo-Ral. Thanks!

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Tony, do you have any trouble with the cup coming loose during a quick change? I have experienced that.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Lick the corks first.

Dennis78 likes this.
  5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Make sure your tongue is coated with Kirschwasser; sticks better. :grin:

tobylou8, bobmiller1969 and curlydoc like this.
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, even although many of us have favorite mutes, I really believe that we need a collection to choose from. If I have a gig and the others all have Humes and Berg, Tom Crown, Alessi-Vacchiano or whatever, I at least try to use the one closest.

I also have favorites for certain pieces. The middle section of the Arutiunian needs a more "snake charmer" sound than the nervous, PITA Schmüyle in Pictures at an Exhibition.

7. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Forte User

Nov 22, 2016
    The East Coast, USA
    Not quite sure how mutes I own but these are my favorites, all of which I bought brand new. My aluminum Dennis Wick Straight which I’ve used for 2 years, my Jo-Ral copper Bubble mute which I’ve used for around 9 months, and my Soulo cup mute that I just got for Christmas. These are my go to mutes. If I find a mute that I think sounds better than it gets replaced.

4D8DEDF9-57D8-41AC-9E34-3C9C008A38A5.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Dennis78 likes this.
  8. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    my favorite Harmon is a late '50's Harmon brand mute-got the right vibe. Cup- Humes & Burg, straight mute is a Yamaha, trusty H&B Solo Tone, Pixie and Bucket.... Plunger-local hardware store-only been used with the trumpet :)

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I recently played trumpet for a new work to mark the end of the First World War, with the composer conducting the rehearsal. One passage was marked muted. I asked the Composer which mute do you want. I was asked well how many types are there. I had around 9 in my bag, and several more at home, Hat etc. I then was asked to play the passage 9 times, using each mute. They picked, Harmon for one part. Bucket for a different section, and straight for another. The rest of the orchestra was asked to vote on which sounded right.

Jolter, tobylou8, kadleck and 2 others like this.
  10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Sounds to me that that composer had a few lapses in his training. I get annoyed when someone is that unprepared.