Mutes

Discussion in 'Kadleck's Corner' started by CNYTrumpet, Nov 7, 2018.

1. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Did you do a "before and after" test with the application of ball pein hammer to your Jo-Ral Bubble?

2. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Mezzo Forte User

Nov 22, 2016
    The East Coast, USA
    Actually yes kind of. My teacher has the same mute and it was dented up and I liked the sound of it better than my then pristine one. Definitely has a smoother sound now.

Jolter and J. Jericho like this.
  3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    For a good old straight mute I got a Bach stainless steel Stradivarius. Sounds good and can be loud if you want it to be. Nicest thing is that it refuses to fall out and if it does get dropped it wont dent easily. I don't have a huge number of mutes, just a harmon ,cup and straight. I don't get into that many tough mute decisions that way. Most hacks aren't in that type of situation where the individual sound is so important, just muted is what they want. Best wishes.

4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I seems to be more and more common now that composers write "mute" but don't actually know the different types. That doesn't irk me as much as when they don't realize that it takes a few beats to put the mute in and take it out!

BigDub, tobylou8, flugelgirl and 3 others like this.
  5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Gotta love the quarter rest mute change

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

Not me. This was a special piece written for Choir, Orchestra and Solo baritone singer, by an amateur composer who had no idea what different mutes existed, let alone sounded like. It was part funded by The Arts Council here in the UK. It was nice to be asked to demonstrate the various types available. So not ‘unprepared’ at all, just not experienced in the world of Brass mutes.

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I would guess that if unpreparedness in other is a source of annoyance for you, your life is not as pleasant as it could be... ;)

Voltrane likes this.
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, that kind of change the trumpet refurbisher's dream.

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not to mention having to pre-lick that cork of a Harmon mute when you know a rapid change be a coming.

Dennis78 likes this.
  10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The mute stays put but the adjustable cup comes loose.