My 20th Century prof

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Feb 8, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Ok so my 20th Century Music professor just stated that he does not hear one single lick of jazz in the musical "West Side Story".

what the hell?

Your thoughts?

Eric :?:

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hmm... that seems a little suspect. To me, West Side Story is so great because it is so many things: Mahler, Shakespeare and, of course, jazz. I think sometimes the jazz element is overstated while subtler influences and aspects are not given their due, but to completely ignore a works most prominent stylistic influence... sounds like it's time to get a new 20th Century Music Prof...
    -Jimi

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    And if it makes you feel any better, I just popped a recording of Wagner's Sigfried Idyll into my computer and iTunes listed it under Jazz. So apparently West Side Story is NOT jazz, but Wagner is. (Hey, at least iTunes didn't list it under "Klezmer," now THAT would be a pretty sick joke).
    -Jimi

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Waiting to see what Wilmer has to say!!

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Did he expect to hear jazz in a Broadway show written by a non-jazz composer? Why is he even looking for Jazz there? In the shows"Girl Crazy" and"Crazy for You," the tune"I Got Rhythm"occurs, does that mean those are jazz shows? No!
    It's probably better to let your professor toss out silly statements like the WSS one.
    Don't play his game :cool:
    Wilmer
    PS
    Listen to Dance at the Gym on the cast album.....or check Stan Kenton's version of WSS......no jazz there :lol:

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    How does this guy define Jazz?

7. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    obviously he has an extremely narrow veiw on what is jazz, and needs education on what makes jazz, 'jazz' himself

8. bas

bas Pianissimo User

Jun 2, 2005
    Iowa City, IA/Corfu, GR
    Hmmm....sounds to me as if this prof was a closeminded knuckleheaded academe...like many I work with daily!

9. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Tell him (as is often heard here in NY), "GET THE WAX OUT OF YER EARS, JACKASS".

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    He's just trying to be provocative to see if anyone's awake. So, disagree but have your homework done so you can argue the case. That's what college is for. Don't accept anything blindly IF it sounds outrageous to you. Don't be argumentative just to be argumentative, either; it wastes time and gets old real quick.

Nobody ever said WSS was supposed to be a jazz piece, anyway. it has a variety of elements that are part of the sound of America in the 1950s. It has jazz, latin stylings, fugues, references to Wagner opera... it's ridiculous to classify it as anything other than a 20th century American theater piece.

ML