my 8 month old son made his first sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dovod, Jun 16, 2008.

1. dovod

dovod New Friend

Jun 13, 2008
    Ottawa, KS
    So I was practicing today, and my son was sitting on the ground listening and watching. I told him to buzz his lips, and showed him how, and he started doing it, and so, I took my mouth piece, buzzed my lips, and while buzzing, pulled the mouth piece to my lips to show my 8 month old son how it worked. after showing him 4 or 5 times, i told him to try it, and he buzzed his lips, and i put the mouth piece up to him, and boom, sound!! 8 months old!!! how awesome is that? heh. Of course, I know he isn't even strong enough to hold the horn itself yet, but still, I don't know, it just made me proud I guess. :D
    I can't wait to start teaching him in a few years. I don't want to start him too young, but also, I want to start him as soon as he feels he is ready and wants to.
    I had my little brother playing simple scales and easy songs when he was 4-5. so I figure I can start my son by the time he is at least 6 :)

~David

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Congratulations! Beware, though--he'll be dating before he's five!

3. dovod

dovod New Friend

Jun 13, 2008
    Ottawa, KS
    LOL, I don't know about that :)

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Start him on piano when he is three. Language and music is in the same part of the brain. He can easily start learning piano.

Carol Dawn Reinhart started slide trumpet at five or six. You might as well buy a slide trumpet now so he gets used to seeing it. It is lighter than a cornet and balances well.

I expect him to play cello concertos on trumpet when he is ten.

5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    I wish i learned piano when I was younger. That and how to sing.

Thinking theory and composing from only knowing one isntrument and a tad of guitar and mandolin is very limiting...

I am working on it though.. also ill never get itno a decent music college if i dont knwo piano...

However, That is really cool.

6. dovod

dovod New Friend

Jun 13, 2008
    Ottawa, KS
    stchasking, you said to do exactly what I was planning. I plan on teaching him, and his mother piano in the next couple years, to teach him music and everything. I myself first learned piano when I was about 7 years old, and it helped a LOT.

7. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    10-4
    We will look forward to the results.
    My dentist has a 9 year old who loves to play ice hockey. The nine year old knows that if he practices piano every day he gets a lot of ice time. I think handing out a package of M and M's would do the trick too.

My brother took piano lessons starting at 6 and it served him well. I took for two years before trumpet lessons. It wasn't enough.

8. Dr. Zink

Dr. Zink Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2007
    North Coast US
    Great for you! We only just did this with our 2 1/2 year old. put the horn up to his lips and tell him to make an elephant sound and BAM!!! a gorgeous low C. Try a little harder and out comes a G!

At that age the sky's the limit!

Dr.Z

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    low C at age of 8months, middle G by age of 5, high C at age of 6, top C by the age of 10, doubble C at age of 15, even Maynard would be envious of him when he get to the age of 20 ROFL