My A iis flat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    While trying out two new Yamaha pro level cornets, I find the staff A to be quite flat. None of the trumpets do this. Is this common for Yamaha cornets?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I had such a problem on Soprano Besson cornets...but B flats? Something must be wrong...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think it is the horn. Those are notes that lay naturally well in the partial series. If anything they could be a bit sharp.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    When trying new horns, especially if changing the type of horn, it's important to keep as much as possible constant so that you can really tell whether something's up with the horn.

If you're trying a new horn and using a new mouthpiece, those intonation issues may just be your issues with the mouthpiece and not the instrument. Try to find a mouthpiece where at least the diameter is the same as your trumpet mouthpiece, and try to find a true cornet mouthpiece, not just a trumpet mouthpiece with a small shank. And play a lot of low, slow, soft notes on the instruments to allow your body to adapt to the change, then play the same music on each instrument you try out, and THEN check for intonation after your body has adjusted to the change.

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    i played on a yam 6335 cornet quite a while ago and the top A was always flat apparantly was a common problem, try playing it on 3rd valve....worked for me :)

6. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    I had the salesman provide me with a Bach 5C. I didn't realize that it may not be a true Cornet MP.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    well, a deeper mouthpiece won't hurt but if the mouthpiece is cornet shank should work still even if it gives a bright (trumpety) sound.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    A good 5C would play in tune and Yamahas are well made. I'm suspecious of the Bach mpc. they send out stuff that is not properly made. I would try it with a Yamaha mpc. see if they have one that is the same size as your trumpet mpc.

9. 43Bach

43Bach New Friend

Jun 21, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Don't forget the shank length of the mouthpiece will effect the pitch...I agree A is if anything sharp...almost never flat.....

Bach 43H bell, 25LR leadpipe, 1993
    Kanstul Custom Circa 1980's, LA
    Couesnon, small bore C trumpet,possibly pre WW2 or just after WW2
    Blackburn (hodgepodge) Eb/D Yamaha body,Blackburn leadpipe,Bach bells unknown vintage
    Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn 1990
    Conn HERALD TRUMPET w/2nd slide on left hand side 1960's

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010