My Amazing Grace Video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Feb 12, 2012.

1. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Hello,

I just posted my latest video on my Youtube Channel... a quick recording of Amazing Grace I did while preparing for a possible performance next weekend at a memorial service. I did it on my Getzen 896 4 valve Flugel and I'd really appreciate all of your opinions of the horn and my sound on it. I picked it up in a trade and the "jury" is still out if it stays in my little collection or gets traded toward something else.

Amazing Grace - Scott Kelch Flugelhorn.3gp - YouTube

Please let me know what you all think... I'm gonna save MY thoughts for now so I don't influence yours.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    By the way... I'm still recording on my CELL PHONE with no real editing abilities... so I have found that turning your media player volume down to about 25-50% and controlling volume with your main computer volume works best. Thanks for watching/listening!!!

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Other than for the 'clams' and some other poor attacks, the tone and intonation of the flugel is superlative. I would strongly recommend that you spend some serious time behind the mouthpiece of that horn before any public performances. I also think that you have found an instrument that will be an enhancement to your overall playing. KEEP IT!!!!!!!

OLDLOU>>

4. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for your thoughts Oldlou... I definitely respect your opinion, and find it interesting... I'm going to hold my thoughts just a bit longer to see if I can can some more views first. Anybody else with some thoughts for me??? Please!

Thanks!

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Listen to your recording and learn from it. I am sure that you will hear what I delineated.

OLDLOU>>

6. trumpetpr

trumpetpr New Friend

Oct 22, 2007
    About the 896 is really nice flugel, definitely a keeper. About your performance, I have to say that there is no chemistry between the flugel and you. This probably because you have not spend time enough to get used to the flugel. There are good moments and sometimes it sound like a trumpet to me. I believe there is too much concern about your playing and concentration is not there. It just a matter to play with abandon and let it flow. Definitely, watch the intonation and articulations, take your time is just a normal process until you click with the flugel. I dont know what mouthpiece are you using but this flugel likes a deep cup mouthpiece. Good luck in your upcoming memorial service's performance.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Overall nice job. excellent sound and phrasing. You really use the air very well. The few minor blips I heard could come from just recording your self. Everyone seems to become self conscience when the mics on. Of course this is a distraction from playing. If you don't preform in front of people often I would find some people to play in front of. It will help. The blips were a result of hesitations from lack of concentration.

Good luck.

8. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for all the comments so far... I appreciate ALL of them. I want to learn from them. Anybody else?

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Having sung it at a wedding and played it many times at church, you need to make it more fluid. I agree with trumpetpr about playing with abandon. It is such a well known song ,it's like doing the National anthem. Don't look to try and survive, but make it your own. I do like your sound. That's most important. Just work on not being stiff.

10. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    You know something is missing. Could it be that you abandoned playing with abandone?
    The Flugel is not the culprit....
    I know a professional trumpet player in the SF Area who cannot get the proper sound out of the flugel. His solution? Don`t own a flugel.
    But you are so close to getting that nice tone that does not sound like a trumpet on the flugel that I think some time listening to yourself and you might find the missing piece to the puzzle!