My Amazing Grace Video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Feb 12, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay.. very cool you put this up... I always enjoying hearing fellow TMers.
    I like the Getzen's sound ... they can be worked from bright to dark with the same mp.
    I think you might be over doing the vibratto. I have to fight putting vibratto in if I hit a note off pitch .. it's a natural reflex to cover up intonation. I also think you find it will make for a more professional sound if you limit it's use and also the intensity of it. Try playing the piece through without any, not for the performance but to see if you find it hard to do. Once you can do that then pick your spots. I like to use it at the end of a phrase on sustained notes ... start the note out without any and then add it in little by little. You can also play with the dynamics .. a good rule of thumb... when the phrase goes up ..increase the volume ... when it goes down .. get softer.
    that's my take .. hope that helps

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It sounds like you not only need to put the time in to get used to that horn and flugel in general, but you should also look for a better mouthpiece. Deeper is better with flugel pieces - it might take you some time to get used to, but your flugel sound will be better for it in the end, especially on that particular horn. Remember not to overblow - it's not a trumpet, so don't play it like one.

3. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Just to give you another perspective; I'm around your age and about a year and a half into my comeback with no experience on flugelhorn. I can hear places where you're overblowing and I agree that you overdo the vibrato. Overall, not bad and you do play with some sensitivity, though I think you could do more with your dynamics. I won't mention the obvious clams, etc. - oops, I guess I just did!

I'm guessing you're as good or a little better than I am at the moment, and all I can tell you about performing is that, for me, I want to be considerably better before I do anything in public. If you're not good enough and practiced enough to be confident, it will make you even more nervous, which will make you play worse - at least that's my experience.

Good luck, and kudos for posting and asking for feedback!

4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    My .02.......I clicked on your video for "Auld Lang Syne" and you played it awesome with the Taylor, so I believe it's either the horn or the mp that's preventing you from getting the nice attacks. You may get lucky and find a good mp that will take care of that and the intonation issues. If not, be on the lookout for a Courtois 154R :cool: Thanks for posting!! You da man!

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Your first space F is flat.
    The reason the horn has four valves is to make the 1-3 & 1-2-3 combinations more in tune.
    When you play your low D, use your fourth valve, not 1-3.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    check out flugelgirls signature link... this player knows a little something about flugels

7. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thank You all for responses... I am at work so I can't REALLY respond back... but I didn't want you all to think I wasn't watching. I appreciate all the feedback. I'm still not honestly sure that this is the horn I want to keep but I know that even if I decide to go a different direction a lot of what you all are saying will hold true. I know I need to spend more time with this horn to know for sure (I have spent very little time on it and my video was not intended in any way to be a finished product but a rehearsal tool)... but it just doesn't feel comfortable like my OLD (one of the very first, with bottom sprung valves) Bach 183 used to feel and honestly I wish I hadn't traded that horn away... oh well.

My Mouthpiece is a Callet SC4FL that matches my trumpet mouthpieces... it has a nice deep v type cup so I don't THINK that's the issue.

Back to work... more thoughts later!

8. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thank You all once again for your words and thoughts!!! Not to discard any of them because they are still important to me but to make a long story short the Memorial Service is not happening this weekend and I am 99% sure I have decided to go a different route with the horn. (not that it's a bad horn at all, it just doesn't fit the sound I am after right now)

SO... with that said... Would any of you all that liked it so much have any interest in it? Let me know and we can talk about some details!

Thanks again!!!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    wow.. and that is a really nice flugel too

10. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks Coolerdave... It could be yours! =0)