My Amazing Grace Video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Feb 12, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't do it trumpetguy, keep the horn. I too have the 4-valve Getzen, and it sings with the Getzen 3C mouthpiece. I have testimonial by a TM member who heard this horn live while playing with my quintet, that this horn was the best flugelhorn sound he ever heard.

OK, the Getzen Eterna has a 0.460 bore. All you need to do is fill it with air then blow lightly...just ever so slightly pushing the air through. You do not have to overblow to give this horn sound. That is what is sooo cool about the Getzen Eternal sound. Very little force, and just finessing the air flow, it is so thick and rich when played this way. Keep the horn, because if you sell it to Coolerdave, cooler will then truly be cooler than you.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am with Gary on keeping it .... it's one of those horns that you will probably regret selling a few years down the road....

3. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the thoughts guys... I definitely don't dislike the sound of the Getzen... it has a great sound! Just not the one I hear when I think of the sound I want right now. I'm getting into small group jazz stuff... so I'm looking for the darkest , smoky jazz sound I can find and the sound coming out of the other end of this Getzen is just TOO pretty and clean and sweet. If I could keep it AND get another flugel I would but that's just not going to happen financially... soooo... unfortunately.... off she goes.

So somebody needs to give her a good home for me! Let me know who wants her.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So once more, I am going to try to relay to you...

Don't Do IT! Don't Get Rid of IT!

Here is a cut from Freddie Hubbard's Love Connection - Brigitt. He IS playing our Getzen Eterna on this cut. How can you get rid of a horn that plays like this:

freddie hubbard - Brigitte - The Love Connection (1979) - YouTube

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  7. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I definitely appreciate all of the thoughts and suggestions and videos etc... BUT I have still decided to move on to a different horn... I'm just not comfortable with the Getzen and think I have a nice Couesnon lined up. So... If anybody wants this one it really is for sale and I'mmotivated to unloaded so you'd probably get a heck of a deal out of me. Make me a (reasonable) offer!

Talk to ya soon!

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    As much as I like the Getzen, you new choice is a great sounding horn. I don't know how they play or slot but they sure sound nice in the right hands.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just make sure the valves are in good shape. Couesnon, for many, is THE sound in flugels. My teacher had one in the 60's and said it was awesome, but, the valves were finicky.

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Getzen Flugels always felt a bit sluggish to me.