My Arban Method Book is missing tempo markings o_O

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Aug 2, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    Should I just add my own on the method book?

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Play such as slow (largo) as you need to at first while maintaining intonation and then increase to at least 120 (moderato). Don't mark your book, just do it. Too, the pianist as illustrated, is using the wrong hand.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    play it anyway you like -- and YES, feel free to mark up YOUR ARBANS BOOK in any manner which you deem will be helpful and constructive to your playing!!! -- play and be happy, and have a great day!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Older books weren't marked with tempo.

Tom

5. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Clarke method books are marked for tempo but not the Arbans.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Well, the Arban-Clarke is marked for tempo, because Clarke added tempos. :-)

Tom

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1 use a pencil to do the markings because you may change your mind about what you want to highlight.

My Arbans has 40 y.o. scribblings from my teacher back then. It's nice to see the little pairs of spectacles - "watch it" marks - from long ago. It's also nice to play an exercise and note your improvement from when you first highlighted something.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Giving yourself tempos markings (and writing them down) is simply a way of organizing your practicing goals. Do it if you find it helpful.

Keep in mind that if you can play an exercise/etude/study overall at a certain tempo but there are areas here and there that are problematic, isolate those areas and gradually work them up to tempo. And do not slop over them at a faster tempo. Practicing bad habits refines your bad habits.

Also, it's a bit surprising to those who have never integrated this into their practicing, but you will actually learn to play something faster, quicker, if you play it slower (without any mistakes or stress), than continually playing through it at faster tempos with mistakes until you minimize the number of mistakes.

gmonady likes this.
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is the most insightful peaces of advice you could ever get. Use this approach, and you will conquer any classical etude, orchestra pit show tune, jazz band bebop chart you will ever have been given to learn to play. This is how my teacher used my study books. He would surprise me at my lessons I was to study the week before with the tempos he wanted me to play at. Forced me to learn ALL my studies at all tempos. This "Kehaulani" method is one of the most important skills that made me the accomplished trumpet player I am today.

10. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I have a hard time with the people who say DON'T MARK UP THE MUSIC!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,well why not? ,,,,,,,,it's mine ! It's not like you cant find more sheet music ?

I say mark away Bro ,now let's be realistic you cant mark everything down,,,,, but the stuff you have trouble remembering or fingering on the fly ?,,,like fingerings for that 5th sharp?" ,,,well yeah go fer it!

I find it helpfull to mark 0+0,+00,etc. for notes i'm not familiar with at first because the mind -eye thing gets better .

Just my 2 cents

Dean_0