My 'best' cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by oldlou, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I own a 1948 36A but sure it's not a favorite of mine. (that's by far my Getzen Eterna 800 ML).

Brassman64, Dennis78 and True Tone like this.
  2. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    My favorite cornet is Yamaha 2330 Shepherd's crook cornet.

3. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    The funny thing is that it is a public secret that the (older) 2310 Yamaha long cornet has more the SC sound than the SC 2330. (I owned such a 2310 for years).

BTW after writing the above I unpacked my (1948) Conn 36A Concert Grand for the first time in maybe over a year. Though it is said that it is (one of) the best cornet(s) ever made it was never my cup of tea. I suppose I never liked the bell, it's in my opinion a trumpet bell. Not enough sound and a difficult low register. And I have a distaste of Conn valves in general. Mostly I play my Conn cornets with a custom Conn short shank made by Jim New with a Warburton cup or with a Curry BBC with C-shank but today I plopped my Wick Heritage 4 in and, I have to admit, that's a lot better. For some reason the pre-1955 Conn cornets play quite good with the short shank Wickies.
    More cornet, less trumpet and quite a good low register with a usable sound. Also easy to play up the scale. And the intonation is first class, I suppose cause of the long underslung leadpipe. Some of the Foster Reynolds genius. It's a weird instrument optically with quite a massive, big machine and then the long, slender bell like a piccolo.
    So it's a good horn but without any character for me. When I did put it down and popped the Heritage 4 in my Getzen Eterna 800 I instantly knew why the 36A goes back into the darkness. Maybe I am naive or so but I really can't imagine what anybody could expect more of a cornet than the Eterna 800 gives.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    True Tone likes this.
  4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I really love my 1939 King Silvertone Master model - it is such a joy to play! I usually take my Adams when I get called to sub in brass band, but next time I just might take the King. It might not be a shep,but gets the perfect sound with the right mpc!

True Tone and Brassman64 like this.
  5. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    For cornets I have never played anything better than my conn 80a and audiences love anything played on it. Having said that I have limited experience of other cornets so there may be better instruments out there but personally speaking I see no need to try to track one down.

It seems like that would be wasting time that would be better spent making music. When you have something that works well why mess with it.

Having said that my go to players right now are trumpets.

It seems to me that we musicians are not delivering tones we are delivering pleasure, and trumpets or cornets equally deliver pleasure. Audience reactions confirm this.

I think sometimes we get fixated on the merits of one instrument over another and lose sight of the immense pleasure that we deliver to our audiences whatever the instrument.

True Tone and Brassman64 like this.