My Buzz is Gone :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GideonRichter, Nov 12, 2011.

1. GideonRichter

GideonRichter New Friend

Oct 23, 2011
    Hello.
    I've been playing for about 4 years now, and recently i feel as though i cant play for very long playing through concerts ( I have to cut back on my playing and even take breaks to conserve for My solo [Remembrance day])
    You know how when you learned to play and all the guide i find, it's start with just your lips buzzing...right? Well, When i first joined band.... I could do that.
    Now when ever I do it it either is just air, or something just out of this world.
    I'am not quite sure what to do now, no i don't have a trumpet teacher.

2. GideonRichter

GideonRichter New Friend

Oct 23, 2011
    Hellooooo! :)

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Patience!
    There are many users in many different time zones, so you'll have to wait to get a wide variety of responses

My suggestion is to outright stop playing for a few days if possible. Then, starting slowly, build back up (say 10 minutes the first day, 20 the second, etc.) never pushing yourself to the point where you can't play

In practices you should never push yourself to the point where you can't play. As soon as your sound, range, or articulation go as a result of fatigue. Stop playing (maybe do a little cool-down). You should make yourself tired, but without running farther than you can. Sustainable practice should be the goal

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I would highly recommend the book
    Low Tone exercises Patterns and Etudes for Trumpet by Mark Ponzo
    hard to say what is happening but it sounds like your chops are very tight and perhaps you have alot of tension
    Rowuk has mentioned about the circle of breathing (? I think it's called)
    breath in ... breath out ..breath in..play.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well the buzz around here is to recommend you get a teacher. Now you know what to do.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By theway... you are straining your lips. Stop doing this before progressively badhabits begin tearing down you embouchure. Get ye to a teacher pronto!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are not available 24/7 for every beginner problem. We are all doing this for fun and get around to posting when WE want to.

What does your band director say? They have seen and heard you play.

There is no way that we can guess what you are doing wrong. It could be one of hundreds of things. I suspect crappy breathing first, crappy practice habits second and crappy body use third. This is hard to analyse over the internet. It is impossible to fix over the internet.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Some years ago I realized that I was not feeling my lips buzz when I played. I had shut out sensitivity. So I rubbed Cayenne pepper on them to give them a "wake-up" call. It stung like h!!l; but it worked. Now I am constantly looking for the sensation of lips buzzing when I play.

I have an essay about this in my first (free) eBook. Please email me if you would like to receive a copy.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow!! This is an amazing post. Seriously! Should we be feeling our lips buzzing WHEN WE PLAY? In all my 40+ years of playing, I have NEVER felt my lips buzz! I feel them buzz when I "free buzz" and am blowing ONLY into the mouthpiece lightly, but never when it is attached to the horn.

So I can buzz, but never when my horn is hanging on my face. Do others out there actually feel their lips buzzing when playing the trumpet?

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Does the Pope s*** in the woods? (sorry .... I meant a bear)

Yes, I can feel the buzz when I'm playing the trumpet. I suppose it could be the wine .....:huh:

"The buzz is gone .... It's gone away for good ..... The buzz is gone ..... But I still live on ....."

Try some loose lip flapping ..... if it flaps, it'll buzz.

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011