My Buzz is Gone :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GideonRichter, Nov 12, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow Turtle, thanks for the edit correction as I thought discussing religion on TM was off limits. I can see how the error of Pope and bear can be made as those keys are so close together. But it does bring up an interesting perspective when the Christian Church is presenting the word of God into third world countries. I mean the Pope must have to Poop. Now there is a typo that is only related to one letter error with an inversion change.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    When we first learn to play, our lips tickle from the vibration. My contention is that we quickly learn to shut out this feeling (in a similar way to our being able to shut out pain). Ever since I inhibited the shutting out (is this a double negative or what?), my sound has been much more vibrant. Sympathetic buzzing, like vibrato, is a natural state; we must work if we want to inhibit it.

My take on "buzzing" for what it is worth, is that buzzing is the sympathetic vibration of the lips to the note resonating in the tube; buzzing is not the creator of the resonance.

gmonady likes this.
  3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Close call, huh? :whistle:

You think typing is easy for a turtle???

Turtle

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well stated, and now it all seems to come together. You know, I did concentrate more today on the feeling in my lips when I played, and I could detect a minute feel of vibration on my lips on some of my notes, not all but some. And that may just be it! Once you get to "feel" the degree of energy demand from the instrument, the sensation of vibration becomes one with the horn. So maybe the OP is reaching the "one with the horn" moment. Ivan, this is a very Zen thing you have enlightened us to on TM, and is worthy of reward!

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

I concur with the vibratory shutting out inhibition, in the fullest, without reservations or tickets, even. Do not not apply this to your own trumpet regimen and you will not be unhappy that you didn't make the wrong decision. :-?

Turtle

6. waynefiler

waynefiler New Friend

Feb 11, 2007
    Surrey, UK
    I recently watch a masterclass by Allen Vizzutti, he stated that he didn't believe that 'the buzz' is all that important. I know, contraversial, but try this next time you practice.

Create you embouchure, and just just blow - no buzzing, as if you were blowing out a candle-
    bring your mouthpiece onto your embouchure.... there should be a buzz through the mouthpiece or the instrument.
    all that without having to buzz.

If you get the hang of this it'll improve your sound, I guarantee.

If you're concentrating too much on the buzz your throat will tighten and you'll sound nasty. After all the air is the most important thing.

If it's the buzz on your chops when you're not playing, try having a good thorough warm up. When I have the time to do this (about 40mins) I usually have a good buzz going on.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and along with that thought --- the pope is calling for a global authority on the economy -- a global (Vatican Calls For New World Economic Order | Fox News) --- uh yeah 666, the one world govt and economy is coming, so much for the pope taking God to the 3rd world countries -- he is roping you all in to the global one world order.
    hey GM and you other guys brought it up.

apart from that -- I only feel a buzz in my lips on low soft notes -- like second line G. a few notes higher or lower than that -- softly I can feel a buzz, but most of the time, I just feel my jaws and face burn that is all

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can feel the buzzzzzzzzzzzz! It feels goooooooood!:cool:

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Seriously though, this topic came up about this time last year and got, umm, uhh, heated? I can't feel most of my internal organs but I know they are working. Whether one "feels" their buzz or not doesn't mean it's not there. If you have no buzz, no standing wave is created. Don't believe me? Put your lips on the outside of your mpc and blow. What note did you just play? You didn't, because there was no buzz to create the wave. As was pointed out by richtom in a discussion on the Schilke 14a4a, when your lips tire and hit the side of the cup due to the high alpha angle, your sound stops. Why? Your lips have stopped buzzing. Feel it, don't feel it? As long as you're making sound, don't worry about it.

10. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    It seems to me that what the OP is talking about is lack of endurance. Maybe that is obvious, but talking about whether we buzz or not isn't really helpful to the OP.

Check this link. I've been a trumpet player for a long time, but this post at the oTHer site by a friend in Nashville was a revelation to me. Doing these exercises has virtually eliminated my endurance struggle with the 4th set, extended solos, etc.

19/30s exercise explained - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum