My children didn't choose trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I'm not sure it's the good forum... Sorry if not !
    I have two sons and a daughter (with three women, but that's an other story). No one wanted to learn the trumpet ! My first son plays clarinet (what a pity !) and sings : the second is a drummer (shame on him) and the girl plays the piano (better than me, being only 11 years old, I'm jealous).
    My question is : among your children, TMers my friends, how many have choosen trumpet, and how many have politely prefered another instrument ?

2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    my three younger brothers have chosen trumpet, but thus far only the youngest has stuck with it. he's still in high school, but luckiliy him and i are involved in an extracurricular band so it give me an oppurtunity to help nourish and guide his playing.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In my case, my children were free to choose the instrument that they preferred. All of them were started on and encouraged to play the piano. My oldest son had no interest in music. My oldest daughter chose the cello. My younger daughter wanted to play the flute. My youngest son the cornet, but became disenchanted when his mother,( my ex ), or I played cornet or trumpet duets. Like many young children, he expected instant gratification without being willing to put in the work of daily practice. My ex and I were on the same page about what instrument the kids chose, A real rarity,by the way. In my personal opinion it is ALL about making music, not which tool the kid selects to make that music. Obviously, my strong preference is the trumpet/cornet/flugel. I admit to 'attempting' to influence all of my children toward the trumpet, BUT.

OLDLOU>>

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    My wife and I are both band directors. She is a French Horn player and I play trumpet. our son is in 6th grade and started on piano in first grade. Fourth grade is when a student can pick a band instrument. He was welcome to play any instrument(I really didn't want him to play saxophone, but whatever!) and chose trumpet. This year I had to buy him a Bach Strad 37, but he is eyeing my Olds Recording and would like one of my Pics! He has that trumpet player attitude of playing everything up an octave, too! Some high school band director is either gonna love him or hate him!

5. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    Dupac, I think you should be very happy cause your children choosed MUSIC ! there are many other artists families , and their children had no interest in music, they don't even want to hear about musical instruments. I don't have kids yet ( I'm not even married) , but I'll be very happy if one day , my child will want to learn one instrument !

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Of course I am happy ! Notice that with modern technology we could make a "family band" playing together through Internet : clarinet in Madrid, drums in Paris, piano and trumpet/cornet/flugel in Bordeaux...
    Thank you all for your kind answers. And I apologize for my so poor english !

7. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I have one son and he plays trumpet (what a good boy!). I might add he is better than I was at his age!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I chose my daughter's instrument when she was 3, trumpet. Its what I know and that's what she plays.

9. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    My sister and brother play sax, my other sister plays horn (and is majoring in it, too) I play trumpet, and we all play piano. We were actually forced to play piano at first, but I grew to like it. Then I stopped taking lessons because I hated lessons, but I still love to play.
    My mom played flute, too.

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    We sent our 3 kids, now 36, 33, 29 to piano lessons. The girls 33-29, took to piano and music pretty well , and each took several years. Our son, 36, didn't take to piano well. He did play trombone in Jr high, but decided against playing in high school. Older daughter took up flute (mom's instrument) and still plays occaisionally and sings well. Daughter #2 took up French horn in Jr high and played that, along with sousaphone and mellophone through high school but does not play now. None of them was interested in the trumpet, but did have to sit thru many band concerts as kids.:-)