My children didn't choose trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bogart

bogart New Friend

Mar 22, 2009
    Port Huron, Mich
    I have 6 brothers, we all played instruments in band, Just me and a younger brother played trumpet. I am the only one that still plays. My son played guitar and bass guitar and daughter plays clarinet and sax. I have a nephew who plays trumpet and a niece who plays flute.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I politely recomended the oboe, or cello to my oldest, now 14. But he's watched me hide behind my music stand and believe my microphone was turned off for to many years during that impressionable age.

My ten year old has one too, just because......for now...
    he plays a little. The two have fun together, and when I'm around I'm not Dad, I'm suddenly Clarke, or Stevens, Clint McLaughlin, and lately Even MR. ROWUK. So I back off,a little for, now and just make sure they don't get hurt.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    none of my 4 children chose trumpet. The oldest played the organ and sings, the second son is now a recording engineer and plays sax, the third plays tuba, electric bass and since Sunday has an electric contrabass. My daughter plays oboe and recorder and will start conducting soon.
    I stay out of the way for my own kids. We often play duets and then they have to work a bit harder as tone, timing and groove become more "important". I am very proud of their achievements - they have earned them themselves. I only take credit for a consequent, creative environment that lets them take the torch and run with it.

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Mine chose a cricket bat.

5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I would love to play cricket!!!

6. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Granted my oldest is only 6 but he wants to play drums (I should mention that most percussionists I know I find...........have personalities I find undesirable) or saxophone (I suppose that is better) - I thought about buying him a a pocket trumpet so he start playing with me and he was not really that interested (it was sad) - I am hoping it is just a stage - we will see

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    My only child chose oboe at a very early age, but learned recorder first. We bought her a carefully-selected used professional oboe at age eight, and she had a very successful run in school (multiple all-state selections, full scholarship, etc.). After a stint as a band director/private teacher, she still stays as busy as her day job permits, free-lancing on oboe, English horn, baroque oboe, shawms, recorders, and more, with a variety of local pro and semi-pro groups. I'd like to think my high school band director would have thanked us for this, as our band was usually pretty deficient in the oboe section.

Her children split: older one to flute, younger to trumpet. Well, she was inspired by having surprised even herself by honking out a very solid tone on my tuba at about age five; we've been trying to limit her to instruments no larger than herself. They're both happy with their choices, the flutist being considerably less competitive about it. And the rest of the family is content with their choices, as well. As long as neither chose accordion....

8. MGTrumpet

MGTrumpet New Friend

Nov 18, 2004
    Maple Grove, MN
    I consider myself to be one of the most fortunate trumpet players around - you see, both my sons did choose trumpet!

My wife was a music major also (piano and flute) so when the kids were young, both started out with Suzuki piano - neither lasted very long - probably because they were large kids and didn't have great finger dexterity at that point.

I played professionally for a few years but had gotten a day job by the time our first son was born. I started playing in the Medalist Community Band shortly after our first son was born. As our children grew up they frequently saw me playing concerts and saw me going to rehearsals every week. I'd pick up an occasional playing job now and then. They were very aware I was playing a lot.

When they were in elementary school and it was time to select an instrument (fifth grade), both wanted to play trumpet. My younger son started the violin in fourth grade and continued playing both until ninth grade when he dropped the violin to stay with his preferred instrument. They both continued to play through high school and college.

Both kids played in marching band and pep band for their three (yes, three) years at the University. Both were strong, lead trumpets in the bands. Neither played in the concert bands because their engineering curricula didn’t leave enough time to practice. Both kids played in the Medalist Band during the summer series of concerts.

When my older son went to graduate school he didn’t play his first year but did join the marching and pep bands for his remaining four years. He was selected to play in the band for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics - that was a GREAT experience. When he got a teaching job at the University of Iowa he started playing in the Iowa City Community band. Unfortunately it doesn’t play all year long - primarily in the summer - but at least he still plays.

My younger son joined me in the Medalist band when he graduated and continues to play. He joined me in a ten piece brass ensemble that started a couple years ago. Now, he combines both music and computers in his job at MakeMusic where he works with SmartMusic.

Now, the best part! In 2006 both boys joined me and we played a trumpet trio with the Medalist Band for one of our summer concerts. It just doesn’t get much better than that!!!

9. aerotim13

aerotim13 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Rolla, Missouri
    Well I'm only 20 so I don't have kids but from the other end of it, I'm the only one in my family who chose trumpet; my dad's a sax player, and my sister and brother both wanted to play sax... so he made them take up clarinet first. It ended up that my sister is a wonderful singer, my brother is a guitar player, and I play trumpet. then with dad on sax we can pretty much have a band. I think it's much neater that way than to have everybody play the same instrument. It's not much fun to jam with 4 trumpets! But it is a lot of fun to jam with a guitar, a tenor sax, a trumpet, and a vocalist

10. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    My children are grown, but of three only two even came close to music and today really do nothing with it. One chose flute and vocal while the other was vocal. This is their decision and I have to live with it.