My chops are coming back and my tone is getting better!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, Dec 30, 2011.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Yeah I quit the mouthpiece safari...I practiced the Rowuk circle of breath...I did some long tones...some god awful farty pedal tones...and slurs...Now I can produce lyrical phrasing and singing...Though my upper register is still a bit congested and airy I'm not working nearly as hard as I used to to achieve the upper register. It's getting better and better. I suppose now that I feel more comfortable again I should find a good instructor. Luckily there is a teacher in the area who is a classic Blue Note Jazz historian who does some mighyt mean transposing of the classics. His chops are good but I don't seem to be able to get ahold of him. I guess I'll have to go to the university and get in touch with him personally.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, do this. This is how I was introduced into jazz, but finding out the jazz trumpet faculty memeber that was the source for trumpet jazz study at the University of Cincinnati back in the mid '70s. I sought him out, finally personally connected with him, and he agreed to audition me. He took me under his wings after that audition and became THE person most responsible for launching my jazz career.

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Busted Chops,

Good for you! There is no magical bullet or "thing" that get you what you want, only a good solid practice routine.

Hang in there.

Gary

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow - 2 "Gary's" posted in a row - and that should be some bonafide confidence building for you Bustedchops ---- I mean what are the odds of that happening and giving you pertinent advice??? ROFL ROFL ROFL keep it up buddy --- your on your way!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Congrats...now keep 'em up. Find an ensemble to play in. I have an old college buddy, who now plays in my church orchestra. He was a great player who put it up for years, and I can hear him becoming more stellar EVERY WEEK!

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hey Kingtrumpet!

I believe that if you re-read the original poster's statement, that he wasn't looking for advice. Many members here are better players than I am, some are worse. I don't judge, but offer support. What do you do? Denegrate?

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Wow...talk about chops getting busted!!! Very nice, mrsemman!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for the post as Gary #2 has the same question... I mean, what are the odds?

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    What is denegrate ?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I believe the correct spelling is Denigrate which means to attack someone's reputation. Oh my!! Can you believe it... gmonady actually corrected a misspelling of someone other than himself. Wow, it really is time to ring in a New Year.

Happy New Year TM!