my cornet is playing sharp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Jul 23, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    hi i posted this before but i cant get my head around it[​IMG] i have a bach strad trumpet which i play with a bach 1&1/2 C i center the notes pretty well. I have bought a 30 year old Getzen Capri cornet in very good condition i am playing with a bach 1&1/2 C (cornet mouthpiece)but the notes are eratic mostly very sharp, any one any ideas?

2. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
  3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    If you want to try a Wick 3 I have one (silver) a couple of months old. Doesn't work on my Olds Recording cornet--It's yours for $30 and I'll pay to send it to you, if you're in the USA. I have a PayPal account. You can PM me if you're interested.
    I love the sound, but it just doesn't work with my cornet (intonation issues), but it is a mouthpiece I like in other horns.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have a better idea - try to relax a bit more (and yes, I use DW mouthpieces, and they are great for brass band instruments), play with a more relaxed embouchure set up. I don't buy the idea that you play sharp only because of the mouthpiece you use.

5. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    nick
    when i play a C (ie b flat) it is sometimes showing as a b natural! any ideas?

6. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    hi

Many thanks for your reply but i am in th UK and postage would probably kill it. What about a swop i have a schilkee 14A4A trumpet mouthpiece 3C bach or David King Yamaha Cornet

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Alan,

Just buy from a local dealer or look on the UK site of ebay.

8. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Thanks Nick

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Question: is your playing on the cornet out of tune or just tuning appears to be higher than normal? (meaning you are in tune with yourself when playing the cornet?)

10. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    all notes appear to be sharp