My Dream Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gzent, Jun 25, 2005.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    OK, so after weeks (months?) of planning and working with my incredibly talented technician my 'Dream Trumpet' is complete and I brought it home today.

The goal was fairly simple: build a trumpet that has:

- Superior intonation and response
    - Super fast AND light valves
    - A seductive, warm tone that is full, yet crystal clear above the staff
    - A minimum amount of resistance
    - Hand crafted one at a time

Oh, and bring it in for well under $1000.

Well, all goals have been met and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Hats off to Mark Kuklok for his patience and craftsmanship.

Here are some initial pictures of this beauty I have named 'Forza I'.

http://webpages.charter.net/gntzent/Temp/Forza01.JPG
    http://webpages.charter.net/gntzent/Temp/Forza03.JPG
    http://webpages.charter.net/gntzent/Temp/Forza04.JPG

Enjoy, I know I am!

Greg

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Looks nice, but is it supposed to be missing some braces and and finger and thumb rings on the 1st and 3rd valve slides? Or was it built with the D's and C sharp's to already be in tune?
    Looks good, but at the same time a litle "naked". I like the finish too.
    Good Job!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Greg, what did you start with? Is that an Olds Ambassador? What did you have done to it?

From where I stand, it looks like you took an Olds Ambassador or some other older trumpet, had it reworked and reassembled, added amato water keys and possibly a new leadpipe and tuning slide.

A friend of mine who does brass work says that when it comes to trumpets, it's far less about name brand than it is about workmanship and how well it was assembled.

That's a nice looking horn. Keep us posted on how it's playing and working for you.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks for the kind words, its been a lot of work and fun bringing this horn to reality.

Yes, it started life as a '56 Olds Ambassador. First, a rose brass custom Pilczuk leadpipe from Rich Ita was selected from a group of 5 possible models to provide excellent intonation, a warm tone on the low notes and a fairly open feel.

The slides were 'conditioned' to remove any rough edges on the inside, the horn was cleaned and disassembled. To improve response and reduce wieght all the extra bracing was indeed removed. The bell braces were moved to improve response and feel. 2 custom tuning slides were made to further reduce resistance and Amado water keys were used.
    An oversized pinky ring was made for the leadpipe.

The valve caps and buttons were 'thinned' to reduce wieght and improve appearance.

The valve psitons were lightly lapped and the valves aligned with new pads.

A scratch finish was created to finish it off.

As I said, it plays very close to what I was going for. As for the lack of slide rings, well, I guess its up to each player to decide if slide adjustments help their intonation. Certainly, this horn doesn't have perfect intonation, no trumpet does. However, I find for myself that the physical act of adjusting the slides for certain notes was: 1) Something I have seen very few players do 2) An inexact way to correct pitch 3) Disruptive to making the best sound I can and 4) Not necessary since I learned to 'bend' the notes that are off.

I am still working on a way to accurately measure intonation, but its tough since I find myself bending/correcting the pitch on any horn I play. Preliminary comparisions have shown that this horn has better intonation than the group of new $1500-$2000 pro horns I have played in the past 9 months.

If I come up with a repeatable way to compare intonation I'll share my results.

I'll try to report how the horn is sizing up and which of the two curved slides I prefer.

Greg

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    How did you guys go about eliminating the step marks on the Pilczuk leadpipe?

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    They are still there if you look closely. I think because its a scratch finish
    with no laquer that they don't show up as much.

7. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Greg,
    Great job!Looks very good, and I am sure the horn plays amazing as well.

Felix

8. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Greg,

Looks GREAT!
    Can't wait to try it out at rehearsal. :D

Warren

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks guys. I am very interested in hearing what others who play it have to say about it.

Greg :-)

10. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Looks good although a little bare..but whatever works best for you!