My Edwards and a Lead Trumpet Sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    From local 357 "This is my ax and I love it:"

F Besson International Trumpet in Bb by Kanstul

Local you play a Kanstul also. Sweet. My lead horn is a WB-1600 with a few mods. It’s a hair parting lead horn. Kanstul horns are awesome, I’m hooked on them.

2. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Shallow tighter motuhpiece with the smallest diameter comfortable and a horn with a big blow is a great way to go...very versatile setup. Typically large bore is very open..but the horn could be open in other places instead. Like thhe afore mentioned 38b which has a big wrap, is very open around the valve casing and has a 5+ inch bell.

Or a horn like the Callet Jazz which starts small and goes to. 470 with the expandabore concept. Austin winds has some beautiful big horns on their site. That Laars Lundegren link is great! What a neat horn..great jazzer with a nice strong set of chops too....

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    so what's wat it is!

4. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Any of you guys tried an old st307, schilke x4, or the last monette made for mf?

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm currently testing out a Monette MF III, with my trumpet. Perhaps not the lightest or most open horn, however. I should talk to Edwards, see what combination they suggest

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    i am jealous!!!!!

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Ljazztrm, I have an old st307 just sitting in a case I would be willing to let go of if I knew it would get played....Sweet horn !

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's why I asked about how they perceived your sound. I have always had a lead sound because I was always 1st chair by default (only trumpet) or I earned it. When I got to high school, there were many more players that were flat out better than me. My sound was already developed but I was playing 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th parts depending on what was needed. It took awhile for me as a kid, to "de-lead" my sound to blend in. There were not the options available then "mpc wise" as there are now which IMO was/is good because I had to learn to adjust the way I sounded and not rely on equipment.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Like my Pinto!!! :lol:

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    See Mark! Get a Pinto and you won't have to worry about not sticking out!