My Embouchure Change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nikv, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I thought everyone had gotten over fighting on this thread?
    Why are you being so mean to me?

I'm not a liar.
    I wasn't trying to impress anyone!
    I'm sorry this got you so upset!

Note:
    I totally screwed up on my time calculations. On Wednesdays this summer I practice individually for 3.5 hours, play at jazz band/combo rehearsal for 3 hours, and then I rehearse with an amateur orchestra for 3 hours (I don't really know how much I'm playing in those last three hours.)

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nik,
    there is no fighting. There is a lot of info that makes no sense.
    Why does a someone start a thread with a "double D" in a trumpet forum? (not to impress?)
    Why does someone start a thread with 3.5 to 8 hours playing time (one hour of serious practice is more than enough on days with heavy rehearsals - but doesn't sound as cool)?
    Why does someone claim to be a "victim" when this happens?
    Claiming that an embouchure change is moving the mouthpiece lower only means either you are good at copy/paste on the keyboard or you missed most of what is involved in a real change or both. Real life embouchure problems are not brought on by the lip proportions in the cup. They are brought on by the rest of the factors being so inadequate that we compensate with the face. Embouchure changes only work when we find the root evil (breathing, body use, not turning the brain on before playing) and fix them. THEN face things can take hold.
    Why does someone get defensive when they are called on the improbability of all of this.

3.5 hours of "practice" would not leave much decent chops for any real rehearsing. That and a 3 hour jazz band rehearsal hours would not leave enough chops to do any orchestra justice.

Granted, there are summer band camps with intensive programs. Quantity is meaningless though. The quality of each individual note is. I know what pros sound like on a schedule like that. I also know what high school students sound like on schedules like that......................

Nope, I don't buy it. I am impressed by high schoolers that have an inconquerable love of music and a realistic view of themselves with a true desire to do what is necessary to get better. I am a systems analyst by trade. To optimize businesses or processes, one must establish where are we today and where to we want to be tomorrow. If we lie about today, we make wrong choices about what our next step is. We end up going nowhere or backwards.

Now maybe you understand why I don't believe one word of this.

3. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I started it with those things because I wanted people to understand how pained I was to have to essentially start over on trumpet playing. I told you how much I was playing to show how much I've gotten back.

You're right. It sounded cocky. I'm sorry about that.
    But it wasn't the point of the thread, and I really am not lying.

I wouldn't be defending this random internet thread for so long if I was just some dumb internet troll making up dumb crap to see what people say, who has no real love of music, and no desire to play trumpet as a career.

And quantity is not meaningless.
    Read a book called Outliers.
    They do a study which shows that the people that put in the most correct playing time become successful.
    10,000 hours total makes you a real pro.

And I really do practice that much. Sorry you don't believe me... about anything...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  4. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Ahh, we finally get to see the logic behind Rowuk's own copy/paste babble! Now I can understand why you say the things you say. Thank you, this has been very helpful in understanding you. :)

Now, what Rowuk says is generally how I'll believe as well. You talk about playing Double D's, some six ledger lines up? I can't exactly remember how high that is, no one really writes them. I know most people that are serious about jazz lead playing that can scream such a note - I know none that can play the note. Playing, and screaming, are two very different things. If you want to say your range is all the way up there, try playing that note for five minutes straight, without the tone changing, without needed to stop other than for breath. Then I can believe your claims as you so audaciously yell!

Though, if you're able to put in that many hours in a day, along with being in a jazz ensemble, I don't know how you could have a pretty sound at all. Even Maynard couldn't play prettily for more than a few hours. Go listen to his live recordings, he's splitting and popping on a LOT of notes near the end of his concerts.

Anyways, back to Fifa '09! :)

5. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Ok. You know what?
    I'm sorry everyone. I shouldn't have even posted that I could do that once, because I'm getting no real feedback.
    Ok I could do it, but we're forgetting that it was with incorrect technique,
    therefore, it really didn't mean anything at all! :-)
    Also, I did play that long in one day. Maybe I just have freak of nature endurance. I don't know! It didn't seem like a ridiculous notion to me, because I know that some pros practice 6 hours a day, maybe rehearse for 3+ and/or have performances or something.

This wasn't supposed to end up in a fight.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Quick, A.N.A. where's the popcorn - and I need a smiley smarticon showing no prisoners being taken - help. ;-);-)

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    YEs pleeez

9. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i feel ya bro, cool, whatever, you could "play" those notes... im glad that you have found something to do... dont kill yourself with those insane practice times... it is quality that makes you when it comes to this dog eat dog recreation... if we practice hard over 3 hours, our chops WILL die... doing that over and over will lead you to the problem you face... when your high notes stop comming out.... relax, take it easy, that trumpet will still be there, oh yess... it is not a woman, you dont have to worry about it leaving overbight... if you wanna get better, try taking your horn too the steets, crack that case, and play for an hour... have fun, be cool... and rest those chops...

10. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Well everyone has a different embrochue and they do change. Like some guys can actually play trumpet with their checks puffed up. Even if this guy is trying to impress us it still an inserting topic to talk about.