My Embouchure Change

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nikv, Jul 10, 2009.

1. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Nikv, just remember that while many here are superb trumpet players, very few are good trumpet teachers. Take that in account when reading their replies.

Thanks for sharing.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sorry - quote didn't work so I deleted all.

3. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I understand that. I was under the impression that this site was mostly amateurs anyway. (My trumpet teacher told me to be wary of the fact that amateurs may be trying to tell me what to do...)

So, with that in mind, I wasn't really trying to learn any secrets to playing trumpet, but merely whether any other striving musicians have been through similar ordeals.
    I guess I just like to hear stories! :D

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    [​IMG]

I can't figure this out - he seems to be blowing in his trumpet, and
    the notes appear to be coming out her ear - how does THAT work? :dontknow:

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Osmosis

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Is that another of the Osmonds - Ozzie Osmond, Sharon Osmond, Donny Osmond, Marie Osmond, and Osmosis Osmond? ;-)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Breathsupport!

8. jeancmoa

jeancmoa New Friend

May 25, 2008
    Florida
    Nikv - you may be surprised after all these vicious attacks that I am a professional trumpet player living in Miami who has gone through your situation. When I was in high school many years ago, I was also playing with a wrong embouchure. I didn't have the best of sounds, but my range was "pretty impressive", some thought. Then, I met Gilbert Johnson and he brought me back down to earth. And yes, he changed my embouchure. It took me years of practice to get my range back, but now with a better sound than I ever imagined. So, Nikv, my advice to you is don't listen to any of these amateurs who are attacking you on this site. If your teacher is a great player like you say he is, he may not be the greatest teacher, but he probably knows about proper embouchure. Keep putting in the hours my friend.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For those not aware, Gil Johnson was the solo trumpet of the Philadelphia orchestra for many years. He was "Mr. Elegant" when it came to playing.
    Jean, you were very fortunate to have such a consumate player as a teacher.

10. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    This is an old version of the signature I made. The signature upload thing wasn't working right.