My father pickin' it back up!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    So all of a sudden my dad got the shiv from his job. While he's in between things he's been seriously considering taking up the horn again. I of course am completely encouraging this. He wants to take a couple years and really get his chops back, form a group, then start giving trumpet and theory lessons (he's got a master's in composition from UNT). This is sort of his retirement plan for himself. He's going to take the Leblanc home with him and get started, but it's an old horn that he and my grandfather used a lot and the valves are getting a bit worn. So we're going to look for a horn for him too! He's expressed an interest in a Getzen Severinsen, our budget is about 700 bucks I think we'll be able to find something nice for that. He's coming over Tuesday and we are going to go through some Aebersold books and just have fun, I may be in my mid twenties but I feel like a 5 year old on his birthday! I so excited! Hope everyone is well.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It's great what you are trying to do for your Dad. I wish I had children who cared so much, but that's too long a story.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Nick Drozdoff is very excited about the Getzen 490--he started a thread about it. Probably worth a look. Advertised for $750 from Zachary Music, don't know about anywhere else.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    this is a great thing --- ok schleiman ---- as I am sure you know, and have learned from your instructor, Keith, the patience, the compassion, and the enthusiasm that you can instill in your Dad while he struggles with the rebuilding of his chops -- 2 years --- hey at least he has the perspective about right --- it all takes time.
    that is great!!!!!!!!! -- keep encouraging your dad

have a great 4th of July holiday:thumbsup:
    ken

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    You should get an ok Severnson for $700. You could get a realy good 700 Eterna II for that much. I havent played a 490 but if Nick says its good, nuff said. In any event they are all Getzens and you certainly wouldnt go wrong with any of them. I admire your dad for his moxie and wish you both well!

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I am excited for both of you!! A great op. for each of you.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    take your time, and don't be in a rush to buy a horn. He can get his chops back on a conn director for the first few months... it won't make any difference... he just needs face-time.
    THEN he can go buy a pro horn.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Aebersold ...hmm ...that's jazz right?... going to throw in my two cent .. see if you can find a nickel Holton made in the early 60-70's .. but make sure you play before you buy
    cool thread!

9. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I've got a '73 Severinsen; I also have a 2011 Eterna II 700. VERY close in both response and sound, and the 700 has a lifetime valve warranty.

If you decide to buy brand-new then don't pay $750 for a 490 - the 700 is only $45 more. (Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center)

10. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Tell your Dad to go for it. Reason #1, it will assist in taking his mind off the work scene; and help him relax. Reason #2, more importantly, when or if he goes looking for another position, HR will ask what he was doing in between jobs, to maintain or improve his job skills. Working to teach does that amply.