My first gig in 43 yrs!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raider Rudy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To my knowledge Sousa never wrote a 3rd trumpet part for The Washington Post march. Yes, the reality is that he never wrote any trumpet parts ... he wrote only for cornets, but even then he didn't write a third part for it. IMO it is the second most popular of Sousa marches ... one that I've been playing since I was a sophomore in high school, under the direction of a former Sousa cornetist. The original composition for it is in the Sousa Museum at the University of Illinois - Urbana. During my comeback, I've recorded it and many other Sousa marches with multi-brass playing all parts. Such is not to say other arrangers haven't twiddled with the original! Even the USMC has.

2. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy New Friend

Jul 30, 2015
    So Cal
    Thanks for the good info Mr Lee! I just checked the music sheet & it actually says for 3rd cornets. It has Souzas name on top, but it has the name Carl Fischer at the bottom. Maybe he tweaked it for 3rd cornet.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that you will likely find that if you are working hard at being prepared and you hold yourself to decently high standard, you'll probably be more than adequately prepared for the sit in. You'll make some errors at first due to nerves, but once you settle in, you'll realize that you probably deserve to be there just as much as anyone else.

Good luck with it!

4. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy New Friend

Jul 30, 2015
    So Cal
    Thanks trickg! You sound just as encouraging as the concert band members do! All your words are really helping me. This whole adventure is a great stress reliever.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Carl Fischer was a prolific publisher of sheet music and for a time also imported instruments as he then house branded.

While Sousa was a founding member of ASCAP, I don't know what license he gave CF to publish his songs, but now they are all in the public domain upon his death in 1932. The Washington Post march was commissioned by The Washington Post newspaper in DC. For sure my comeback rendition has no cornet third part, and I won't swear that sometime in public school/high school I didn't play a third cornet part. The "paper mills" cranked out these songs for zithers, harmonica, accordions, etc.

Best wishes on the gig, and let us all know the consequences.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hey, the worst thing that can happen is you blow the wrong notes, at the wrong time, when no one else is playing anything! A minute after the concert, the only person who will remember this is YOU!.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    True story.

8. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy New Friend

Jul 30, 2015
    So Cal
    It probably will happen! I think it has happened to me before. I will give you all a good report afterwards.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Concert band I'm in,there's only three trumpets,one on first( me), one on second, and one on third( when there's a third part), my SIL. It's basically sink or swim. Make a mistake, it's all yours. Have done my share:dontknow::oops:

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    When I cameback to trumpet quite a few years ago now, I found that many of the third trumpet/cornet parts (my allocated chair) always seemed to have an unwritten, single note 3rd solo. I've learnt since that it is not the case and I have stopped doing those solos - no-one EVER mentioned it to me during or after a performance. I would encourage you to do the performance, especially after all your work, that's what it is all about - go for it. Remember strong - light - medium - light in 4/4 and taper off the long notes so that the melody can come through.